Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Funny Money


Went to the bank today to purchase some Euros for our Paris trip. Even though the exchange rate app on my iPhone told me that the dollar was exchanging at 1.27 compared against the Euro, I for some reason was charged the rate of 1.34 by my bank. I'm guessing their info is more up to date, though. Anyway, point is, I got raped. It might not look like much, but spending 1 dollar and 34 cents for every 1 Euro you're purchasing adds up once you break that 100 mark. And don't think the wrongness of "paying" for money has escaped my notice, either. Sheesh!

Anyway, I'm actually very excited. I've never seen a Euro in person before. Hi, nice to meet you! You can't help but make the comparison to monopoly money, of course, and for a brief moment worry that perhaps someone's pulled a fast one over on you back at the bank. But, after it sinks in, it starts to grow on you. I think the Euro is very cool, in fact. I love the weighted band through the notes, and the holograms on the right. I feel so international now!

I've been slowly devising our itinerary for the six days we're in Paris. We'll be doing a whole helluva lot of walking, by my estimation. This is, of course, my preferred way to see a city, but now Lisa's foot is hurting and I'm worried we won't be able to walk around as much. Bummer! Hopefully she can heal enough by then to manage. I guess we can rely on the metro a lot -- except for the one day we'll be doing a 4 mile guided walking tour of St. Germain, the Latin Quarter, and the Marais districts. Uh-oh!

4 comments:

Captain Hook said...

You are going to have sooooo much fun on your trip. I envy you.

Kim Kasch said...

I've found the best way to exchange money in foreign countries is to use your debit card in a bank machine. We always got cash at a much better rate that way - but then you can only get like $300 per day - so if you wont be around a bank for a while - it will only hold you so long.

David Batista said...

Well, I only changed a small amount here and will plan to use ATMs when I get to Paris for any additional cash withdrawals. Unlike most people, I prefer using cash over card. I dunno, I just don't like letting my card out of my sight in restaurants. But other people seem so blaise about it.

But Paris will be the first time I may switch this practice, and end up using my card exclusively. Yet another reason to go with a small cash withdrawal for now.

cindy said...

so thrilled for you! what fun it'll be!!!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin