Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Now This Is A Casting Choice I Can Get Behind!


The Hollywood Reporter announced here some tidbits regarding pilots for new shows and casting assignments. One item of particular interest to me was the news that a remake of the 1980s prime time sci-fi miniseries, "V", was in the works. I had already heard this news a while ago, but this is the first time it's being made official (at least to me). The original freaked me out when I was a little kid watching it on NBC, but who could not find the evil, conniving leader of the Visitors, Diana, appealing even at such a young, tender age?

Anyway, word is that genre actress, Morena Baccarin, will be stepping in to fill the shoes of the main baddie, this time being called "Anna". Here's a little snippet from the THR article:

""V," from WBTV, is a re-imagining of the 1980s miniseries about an invasion of aliens known as Visitors and the resistance against them. The ICM-repped Baccarin will play Anna, the leader of the Visitors who is remarkably knowledgeable about human culture and media manipulation."

Why they couldn't just stick with the name "Diana" is beyond me, if this is indeed a straight remake. I have no problem whatsoever with this casting choice, though. As you can see from the above pic, Morena is definitely quite pleasing to the eyes, no? The dark hair and angular face is what does it for me -- yum! :)

She was the one big highlight of the show, Firefly, and probably the only reason I tuned in every episode (tho she was horribly underused, imo). I'm glad to see she's landed such a high profile role, if and when this project gets off the ground. Can't wait to hear more.

3 comments:

Ashe Hunt said...

OH YEAH! I used to love V. My brother and I used to watch that show all the time. I guess bad women have the same appeal to us as bad guys do to women. We just don't get in as much trouble as they do ;-) That is a rather inspired choice for Diana, too. Why they're changing the name is beyond me. Maybe Diana sounds a little too old school or something. But yeah, I hope they do this right. I know I was watching with a kids eyes and mind but I liked this show a lot. I was an early SF freak! Can't wait for this.

David Batista said...

I knew you would like this. :)

I actually don't find bad women a turn on. I prefer down-to-earth types that are calm and stable (ha, ha).

To put it in Highlander terms, I prefer the "Tessa" archetype rather than the "Amanda" one, even though Amanda was really a good girl at heart herself.

Btw, speaking of Highlander, I found the location of Darius's church in Paris! It's around the corner and up the street from Shakespeare & Co. I found it using the "street view" fuction in Google Earth. Awesome!

So it turns out, so far, that three sites from the series -- the barge mooring, bookstore, and church, are all within very easy walking distance of each other. How cool is that?

cindy said...

i loved this series. remember elizardbeth.

i think that was the half baby half alien name? hee!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin