Thursday, July 16, 2009

Eddard Stark Has Been Cast!


Or has he? It seems to be more of a rumor for now (albeit, a rumor with a very good chance of being true), but apparently the casting choice was made yesterday. So if this does indeed turn out to be true, word should be getting 'round either later today or tomorrow. And if so . . . just remember you heard it here first! :)

My thoughts? Not quite who I imagined Ned looking like from the book, but I think Sean Bean is great, so this will do. He's also been the guy fans have been clamoring for the most to play this role, so good on them! I was thinking more of a Jeremy Irons type for Ned. You know, someone leaner, older and with grayish hair. But, again, I admire Sean Bean's work a lot, so this is hardly a lose mark in my column.

I first wrote about HBO getting the greenlight to adapt George R. R. Martin's wildly popular fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, here, and so this news just gets me all kinds of giddy. It means that pre-production is starting to get under way!

Earlier it was announced that Peter Dinklage would get the role of fan-favorite, Tyrion. An inspired casting choice, and exactly who I'd imagined to play the character. Tyrion would be a dream for any actor to portray, due to his wonderfully nuanced character arc in the novels. Of course, due to his dimunitive size, it narrows the casting field considerably. But Dinklage is a tremendous actor, and would have been a a great choice no matter these constraints.


More and more this series is sounding TO DIE FOR. I almost wish I were an actor, so I could try and worm my way into this project. I hope it's even better than HBO's previous epic opus series, Rome, which kind of spoiled me for all other shows.

Those of you who might have a hankering for grown-up, down n' dirty fantasy with a ton of smart political intrigue and NO prissy elves or (virtually) no magic -- seriously, check out these books! Or wait for the series to air.

Personally, I'd be too impatient to wait for the tv show if I hadn't already read the books.

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin