Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Of Charts And Numbers

Ever since starting a blog here on Blogger, I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to determine the number of people who actually visit (but don't leave comments). There is no inherent function in Blogger itself to help with this, but I knew of third-party applications that would help. Problem is, most of them came with a price.

But lo and behold, I actually found an off-site service that will do all the dirty work for me. And all for free! Which, let's be honest here, is the preferred way to go about things when you're a hungry, unpublished writer trying to get OUT THERE in the world.

Anyway, for those who might be interested, check out BlogPatrol.com and get your own free blog counter service. You can add a counter widget on your blog too, in either visible or "stealth" modes. I'm using a stealth one myself at the moment, which means that only I can see the number of visitors that come to my site. Right now my daily count is a miserable average of around 6-7 unique IP addresses per day.

Dang, what must I do to whore myself out to more readers? Hmmm . . .

In all honesty, I'm sure these numbers will slowly increase with the more content I add to the blog. I'm slowly reaching the 300 post mark since starting the Bimillennial Man less than a year ago, so I still have a lot of growing to do. Although, looking at the detailed breakdown that BlogPatrol provides in the form of useful, cool-looking charts, certain topics are getting way more searches than I would have thought. Pretty much all my Paris articles are getting top billing.

I've provided below just a small snapshot of all the charts and numbers BlogPatrol collates for me to browse through at my leisure. For someone as obsessed with numbers and micro-management of statistics like me, this is like an OCD's nirvana!

See if this is the right service for you:

DAILY VISITORS


SEARCH ENGINES AND KEYWORDS


PIE CHARTS


There's also a breakdown of visitor's IP addresses, the browsers they use, monitor resolutions, and countries of origin. Aside from knowing who to ban should it come down to it, at the present I can't find much use for some of this info. But I'm glad to have the option anyway!

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin