Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mad Driving For The Holidays

Well, I made it back in one piece! Although, no thanks to myself, judging by the way I whipped the rent-a-car around some dangerous curves last night. You'd think I was intentionally trying to cash-in on all the liability insurance I signed up for at the agency.

For those who don't know, my brother and his girlfriend flew in for Christmas and we all piled into the car and drove 164 miles north up to my Aunt's house in the middle of the woods near the Massachusetts border. The route was a scenic one, and when we started to climb up into the mountains, it got very wintry wonderland around us. The trees were all silver with frost! Although, thankfully, it didn't reach the surface of the roads. Testing my glide handling on four spinning wheels is not a skill I wanted to acquire at this particular time, thank you.

Still, I don't drive much so this was a big one for me. The trip usually takes nearly 3 hours, but I did it in under 2 and a half. Seems I have a bit of a lead foot. I tried to slow down--I really did--but honestly, the highway was damn near deserted almost the entire ride up. All that empty road just *begging* for speed, I could not resist. The speed limit was a constant 55 mph due to all the curves, including some hairpin and S-turns. But--except for the really severe bends--it was a struggle to keep the speedometer below 72. Sometimes I was taking turns at 80 mph! I mean, SHEESH!

I definitely need to curb this bad habit. It's not something I want to continue doing when I drive in the future. I'm just begging for something to go wrong.

Anyway, I rented a cool 2008 Pontiac G6 as you can see in the pic. What a great vehicle! The handling was superb, and I have to commend the folks over at Avis for maintaining the car as well as they did. Especially the brakes! This car stopped on a dime like nobody's business.




Driving on the way back down, in the dark, it started to rain and rain HARD. I foolishly stayed in the fast lane and continued pushing near 80 even while other drivers were slowing down and taking it easy. We all made it back in one piece at least, and I can honestly say that I learned a lot about driving in the two days I've had the rental. I noticed today when returning the car that my road handling had greatly improved.

Thanks twisty thruway from hell! I knew you was good for something.

2 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Glad you made it back in one piece but slow down!

David Batista said...

Thanks, Kim. And I know, I'm a speed demon. :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin