Wednesday, December 16, 2009

'Nother One Of Those 'Year In Movies' Reviews

Because apparently I can't get enough, here is this week's Tara Perry (aka, The Movie Maven) clip from Mania.com:



As far as top 10 picks go for the year, most of these are spot-on for me. I just saw Up! for the first time on Blu-ray, and I have to say that that was one brilliantly amazing little animated film. Wow! It really is a must see. You hear that? I'm telling *YOU* that you must see this movie. As in right now. Yes, RIGHT NOW! Get up out of your chair, head to your nearest video store, and get this DVD as soon as humanly possible. You'll thank me later for it.

As for the rest of the list, I could nitpick the placement of most of those films (Star Trek is not my # 1, for instance), but I'll leave that alone. However, I would like to point out that someone on the Mania staff is smoking the good shit if they honestly think Drag Me To Hell or Paranormal Activity belongs on that list. Okay, okay . . . it's a well known fact that I'm not a big fan of horror films. Especially not the recent trends in that genre over the past few years (Thanks a lot, SAW). So I admit I'm a little biased here.

What do I think should have been on the list instead?

Well, for one: Watchmen. The exclusion of this is a travesty like no other. Especially for a genre site like Mania. What were they thinking?

Secondly: Moon. Okay, I know it's a little-known independent title, but Moon was the second-best sci-fi movie of the year, only behind District 9. Sam Rockwell should get an Oscar nod for his performance, and Duncan Jones should as well for writing and/or directing. It still boggles my mind that here at the end of the year the film has not seen a wider release. What are they waiting for? Anyway, the DVD comes out next month, so I guess I'll have to settle for having it in my home library. It should be on this list instead of Paranormal Activity, who's celebrity comes in the fact that it raked in millions despite only costing thousands to produce.

Moon is the far better movie.

What do you think?

NOTE: Click on the movie titles if you want to familiarize yourself with each film through watching the trailers.

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin