Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Happy September, Y'all!

September 1st. I thought I'd never see you!

This has been one hellishly hot summer. More than any previous year, I've been looking forward to September finally rolling around with a vengeance. And now it has!

Of course, my fondness for the month has less to do with changing weather trends as we head closer to the Equinox and more to do with the fact that it is my birth month. And, yes, I know that I'm biased here, but really . . . September babies ROCK! I don't think I've ever met a Virgo I didn't like, or at least admire, on some level. I like 'em so much, I even married one -- booyah!

And to think, I was originally scheduled to be born in November. Whoa, dodged a huge bullet there. I don't think many of my current friends would like a Scorpio-factored David. Nah-uh.

So, I'm in a generally happy mood today. August is my least favorite month of the year; it's long, HOT, and has no holidays whatsoever to break up the monotony. So good riddance! September, by contrast, is one heck of an active month even if you don't have the fortune of being born in it like me. You have three holidays (one major, two religious); the aforementioned Fall Equinox transition; it's the start of back to school for the kiddies (at least, here in NYC); and, of course, the start of the new TV season for many shows.

Regarding the last: while I don't watch a lot of tv these days, I'm always on the lookout for something new and exciting. I've mentioned some of the ones that have caught my attention both here on the blog and on Facebook, so I'm not going to rehash them now. But hopefully these new additions to the lineup won't let me down like last year's abysmal crop of failures (FlashForward and V, I'm looking right at you!).

But perhaps the most significant importance of this month is that it means no more traveling for me for the rest of the year. Yes, it may surprise some of you, but while I do so love traveling the globe in search of culture and adventure, the planning and plotting takes a lot out of me. Since I have a healthy distrust of travel agencies, I plan every single aspect of all our trips completely on my own and with no outside help from anyone. Add to the fact that I like to learn a little of the language of whichever country we visit before we arrive there, and this means that a lot of the time I should be spending writing is instead caught up in ironing out our travel plans. This year alone we traveled to 4 distinct and separate countries for a combined total of 10 cities in all. But, aside from a possible drive up to Vermont this Fall, I'm glad to say that our traveling days are over in 2010.

Next year will most likely see us visiting new and exciting destinations (and, I can't rule out yet another return to Paris), but for the next 4 to 6 months at least we're done. Finally I can return to my writing, which I've already done with a recent short story I'm in the process of finishing up.

So, yeah. September. Gotta love it. A time for settling down and getting to the business of finishing up the year. I look forward to lots of writing, a couple of birthday cakes here and there, some new potentially exciting tv shows, and the blissful dropping of temperatures. Jacket weather, that's what I've been dreaming of these past few weeks! Cool, autumnal breezes and changing leaves.

Ahhhhh . . .

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin