Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Lovefest With Technology Continues . . .


I swear, is there really anything my iPhone can't do? I've been a Netflix member now for 3 years, and only recently have I started watching titles through the company's instant streaming interface, which allows one to rent their movies and watch them all online. And now in addition to my PC and HDTV, I can watch stuff that's on my Netflix "queue" over my iPhone as well, from anywhere that has 3G or WiFi coverage.

At first, streaming was a bit laggy when this technology first debuted. But now, thanks to added infrastructure, I have to say I've become highly addicted to this facet of the overall Netflix membership. It's quite smooth and serviceable, to the point that I now get impatient whenever a movie or show is NOT available for instant streaming and I have to wait for snail mail to get my titles. Yuck!




What being able to access my account and watch content on my iPhone does now is allow me to catch up on old episodes of Stargate: SG1 from work. Or any other great tv show I somehow missed during its first run for various reasons.

Yes, I know what you're thinking: oh, bad employee! Watching tv on the company's dime instead of doing his work. But, you see, it's not what you think. We're allowed to listen to music via headphones all day long and until the cows come home here. What I do with the iPhone is similar. I perch the phone up at eye level off to the side. Then I set Netflix to play and go about doing my work at my desk like normal. My eyes are on my work, with only occasional sight breaks to see the important stuff on the small screen before quickly returning. I'm not using company resources, and the screen is not interfering with my PC monitor. In fact, I find I'm able to pay full attention to what's going on in the show I'm watching while barely looking at the phone. In this way, it's really no different than how I sometimes watch tv at home: which is to say, playing in the background while I get other things done.




But it's amazing how much I can get done this way. I guess having my mind occupied on more than one level while I work is a good thing. Not to mention how fast the time seems to fly. And, as an added bonus I get to fly through seasons of tv shows I really don't have much time to watch at home (what with writing and working out and all the other things that demand of my time).

I've said it before here, and I'll say it again: I *heart* technology!

2 comments:

Rodney said...

See, it's stuff like this declaration that makes me think getting a "smart"phone might be a good idea for me....

Yet, there's still a hesitation on my part. In either case, I'm glad you're having fun. Now go download the damned audio books of The Dresden Files and LISTEN to one of them, Mr. Look-At-All-Technology-Is-Doing-For-Me!!! =)

David Batista said...

I do listen to audio books, but not too often. I find that the soft tone of one person reading over time tends to transform into a droning litany that my mind simply relegates to background noise after just a few minutes. Especially when I'm working. And I hate realizing too late that I haven't been "tuning in" to what the actor's been saying for the past 5 minutes, and now I need to rewind to find out what I lost.

Strangely, though, this doesn't happen with the tv shows, which are also playing in the background as I work. I guess because those involve more than one actor, and often times the stuff I watch can get very action-y and hard to set aside as background noise.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin