Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hmm, Signs Of Global Warming?

Nah, I don't think so. Not in only two years' time. However, this *is* a little strange. Check out this photo I took outside my window back on November 7th, 2008:



If you would like to see additional pics from different angles for the same photo shoot, check out the original blog entry from that day by clicking here. As you can see, the leaves on the tress in the park across the street are fully changed over to their Fall colors and had already started dropping. As I recall, that year we had a pretty average Summer with predictable rain fall amounts and no abnormal temp hikes. At the time I did believe that we were experiencing Fall later and later in the year than I remembered as a child, but eventually just took it as the norm. However, fast forward almost exactly 2 years to the day, and here is a pic I just took outside the same window this afternoon:



I also took a larger panoramic of the entire park to give you an overview of how the rest of the trees are faring  (click on the image to see a larger version):



Now, are my eyes deceiving me, or is the foliage nowhere near the same level of changeover as it was during this same time back in 2008? That's a pretty dramatic difference if you ask me, and I honestly don't have any explanation for it. This past Summer was one of the most brutal we've had in a while, with ridiculously high temperature spikes, very little rainfall, and quite a few severe wind storms approaching tornado levels on at least two separate occasions. This was not a kind Summer for trees in the 5 Boroughs of New York City. And yet, judging from the pic above, the trees are retaining their foliage far later into the Fall season than in previous years.

Does anybody out there have an explanation for this? I'm stumped!

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin