Friday, April 15, 2011

I, King David Of House Batista . . .

Do solemnly swear to uphold the laws of this kingdom. To herald the Light and shepherd the poor, to . . .




Aw, the hell with this! Steward, make sure the ale's flowing -- and send in the wenches! :)

And before you ask: No, this is not photoshopped. This is indeed the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, as it will be seen in Game of Thrones. And, yes, this is me sitting upon it.

Nice fit, wouldn't you say? A guy could get used to this.

Actually, the folks at HBO are going around New York City dragging this replica from landmark to landmark and offering free PR photos to any and all passersby. I found them today at the entrance to Central Park on 59th and 8th. Yesterday they were at Union Square. And tomorrow I think they'll be in Times Square. Thank goodness I caught them today when traffic was relatively light. Times Square, otoh, is going to be a ZOO!

But, yeah, HBO's PR people had a professional photographer there--complete with blocking and lighting--to do the job. After my pic was taken, I was directed to a table with iPads strewn about where I could find my photo already uploaded and e-mail myself a copy. I was impressed by the fluidity of the process, and the young gorgeous PR ladies on hand who were very, very nice to chat with.

Of course, this quickly became my profile pic on Facebook as well. Hey, it was too fraggin COOL to pass up!

Damn I love living in a big important city sometimes.

13 comments:

Botanist said...

OK, David, that goes beyond cool!

Yvonne said...

Awesome pic! Waaaay cool!

Ashe Hunt said...

Nice sitting on that throne wasn't it?

David Batista said...

Yup! Thanks for saving me the time and frustration by letting me know they were no longer at Union Sq. I would've been pissed had I missed this opportunity.

Watchtower said...

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown"

But I'm sure the ale helps!

Great blog!

getyourselfconnected said...

Opening night tonight! I am going to try and catch it but it is homework night too.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Love this pic! You look very kingly, indeed.

Nothing cool like this ever happens in Seattle.

David Batista said...

Thanks for visiting, Watchtower!

GYC -- Actually, I'm away from home today so I won't get to see the premiere tonight. Sad, given all the hype I've been building up around it. But I'll get to see it eventually. :)

David Batista said...

Jen -- Ha, thanks! :) And as a sci-fi writer, I would *love* to live in Seattle. It's an unoffocial mecca of sci-fi writers, it seems. And the SF Hall of Fame is there as well. Then of course, the rainy weather suits me best!

getyourselfconnected said...

Seattle = Old Dojo

Rodney said...

I, Lord Lopez, bid thee greetings, Your Majesty! Thy countenance upon the throne is most impressive.

The Frisky Virgin said...

This is seriously beyond awesome!!!!! Fantastic pic, too!!!!!!

David Batista said...

Rodney -- LOL! Okay, whatever you just said. :)

Frisky -- Thanks! Btw, did you get to see the first episode of Game of Thrones yet? If so, what did you think?

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin