Monday, May 30, 2011

Made Minor Technical Changes

LOL! The title of this entry is a little inside joke for my co-workers who lurk here form time to time.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in to make quick note of a minor administrative change to the blog. It probably won't mean much to some of you, but I've gone into the HTML source and added a small little line of code that now allows all links on my blog to open up in a new window. Rather than switch pages in the same window as is the default. I don't know about you, but I hate that. Say you want to get a close look at one of my pics by clicking on it to expand the photo? Well, with the old way you've just been taken completely out of my blog post. And when you click the "back" button -- voilĂ ! You're not taken back to the place you left off. So now you have to scroll all the way back down to resume reading.

Gone is all that.

Now when you want to click on a pic, a separate window (or tab, depending how your personal browser settings are set up) will pop up. Once you're done, just close that window and you'll still have the original page there to continue reading. This also holds true, obviously, for links to other pages I put up every now and then.

Personally, I think this is much better. And to test it out, I'm going to provide a link to a Youtube clip of one of my favorite Quickenings from a Highlander episode ever. I've figured out how to link to a specific time marker in Youtube clips, so you shouldn't have to fast-fwd through the entire episode just to get to the good part. I've already done that work for you. The one drawback, however, is that you have to put up with a brief commercial first before the clip begins. Sorry 'bout that, but these are Youtube's rules.

So, click on this link and hopefully you will not only be taken to the start of this very cool sword fight and Quickening, but it shall open in a new browser window/tab as well!

*crosses fingers*

P.S. -- I've also updated the "Now Playing" space on the right side of this blog with that new game I started over the weekend, L.A. Noire. Oh, I am having SOOOO much fun with that!

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

Happy to report, it WORKED! lol Hope you're enjoying your day off!

Jennifer Hillier said...

COOL! Good idea!

Botanist said...

Good idea, David. So many times I've wished (or liked the fact) that links open in a new window. On the other hand I always curse the trail of useless windows that some of the web applications at work leave behind. Horses for courses I guess.

And I just tried clicking on a couple of photos on my own blog. They don't open in a new window, but clicking "back" does bring me back exactly where I left off in the post. Maybe that's just a browser thing?

getyourselfconnected said...

COOL!! I usually just tell people what time to scan to. So high tech!

Notice the same ending move in "The Vampire" was how Duncan also got Grayson in "Band of Brothers" which may be my all time favorite episode. That dude was so badass.

David Batista said...

Good, I'm glad to see it's working. Thanks for testing this out for me, guys! You're the best!

And GYSC, I did notice that move from Band of Brothers in the first season. Grayson and Ward got taken out with the same finishing move! :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin