Thursday, June 16, 2011

TV Music Shouldn't Be This Good

I was reminiscing today, as I often do, about my favorite tv shows in recent memory. And, so, of course I eventually came to the Ron Moore remake of Battlestar Galactica, which is in the top three of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time (Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly are the other two). But more importantly, I started to ponder on the music from this show -- which is just absolutely PHENOMENAL!

What always tickles me to this day about the music from BSG is just how huge the composer, Bear McCreary, has become since the series first began. It's like I hear him everywhere I go now. He's in high demand, going on to do some very memorable scores for such shows as: Eureka, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Cape, The Walking Dead, Caprica, and Human Target (1st season only).

It seems no matter which show he touches, the music for it becomes instantly memorable. In particular, his expertise seems to be at creating really catchy opening credits themes. Case in point, the opening for the very first season of Human Target. When they switched to a different composer for the second season, I almost stopped watching the show. That's how good the music for the first season was.

Listen to the opening theme here. Now contrast that with the opening theme from the second season here, composed by Tim Jones. Ugh -- what is that shit, right?

Anyway, back to Battlestar Galactica. I'm not going to link to the opening theme (there were two of them), but instead I will focus on the pivotal MASTERPIECE known as track 17 of the Season 2 soundtrack titled: "Prelude to War."

I mean, damn, this was masterful! Especially when the Japanese taiko drums show up halfway through. Yup, you read me right -- mother-effing TAIKO drums! They were Bear's signature touch throughout the show's entire run, but never moreso than in this piece. Curiously enough, I went online and found a vid of Bear playing the piece on piano. He even covers the drums somehow (beginning at the 2:50 mark in the vid). It has to be seen/heard to be believed:





Now, wasn't that just made of pure awesome? This guy is GOOD! The fully orchestrated version of the piece played near the end of episode 10 in season 2, when the Galactica and Pegasus squared off against each other. You can hear that version by clicking here.

Arrrrrgh! I just love this so much!

And, yes, if any of you have not watched Battlestar Galactica, you're missing out BIG TIME!!! I didn't much care for the 80s original back in the day. It was such an obvious Star Wars cash-in back then. But the remade series which began in 2003 and ended a few years back needs to be watched by all sci-fi fans. At least, in my opinion it does.

And Bear McCreary is a big part of that.

5 comments:

getyourselfconnected said...

We just might be related....Good stuff.

David Batista said...

LOL! Why are you a Battlestar fan, too? You know, the show has a LOT of rogue cyborg robots running rampage trying to destroy what's left of humanity. It's like your predictions made reality!

Yvonne said...

Whoah! Whoah! Whoah! I was an original Battlestar Galactica fan! Richard Hatch was hot! ha! Not really, I didn't watch the show very much but my brothers did, back in the day! Interesting take on the remake. -Good stuff.

Ashe Hunt said...

Oh My GAWD!!!! That was FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!That is my SHIT!!! You know that's one of my favorite musical pieces EVAR!!!! That track is still on heavy rotation on my Zune! I want the damn sheet music for that. I want to play that myself!!! I don't care if it took me a lifetime I'd learn to play that well! Bear is just the coolest. He ties Basil as my favorite composer for that track alone!

David Batista said...

Yeah, I was thinking of you when I wrote this, Ashe. I still remember how you reacted the first time I blasted that track on my surround sound. :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin