Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Tale Of Two eReaders

So, as some of you may have heard me mention, our 6th wedding anniversary is quickly approaching this weekend. And, with that, I've had to finally make the long awaited decision on which eReader to gift to my wife on this occasion. For yes this is indeed the gift I have decided upon. Like me, she reads a LOT of books on her spare time and eReaders can store thousands of books at a time. Seven hells!

Now to be clear I realistically only have to choose between two options: the Amazon Kindle (Generation 3), or the Barnes & Noble Nook (Simple Touch). Yes, I know there are other eReaders out there from other companies. But let's get real here: these are the only two that matter in the e-ink arena! Yes, e-ink technology is important to me. Or, rather, to my wife who can't stand reading on a backlit screen like I do with my iPhone 4. So that naturally rules out the Nook Color or the iPad 2 as possible choices, since both utilize backlit screens.

And then there were two. So once more I'm left to decide between these options:





Ha! Well, the joke's on you . . . I've already decided! Yes, after much deliberation, I've gone with the one on the right -- the Kindle. Some of you might be surprised by this choice. After all, the Nook is clearly smaller and more streamlined. It has no buttons and keys messing up its nice smooth facade, and what's more -- it has a touch screen! True, it's the same sized screen as the Kindle's, but everyone loves touch screens, yes?

Well, not necessarily. I've had multiple opportunities to try out both readers in stores, and for some reason the old-fashioned button technology of the Kindle felt more responsive than the Nook's touch interface. Also, even though the Nook has a memory buffer to keep refresh jitters down to every sixth page or so, the Kindle refresh happens in a blink of an eye and you barely even notice it. Not so once you reach that 5th or 6th page on the Nook. For me it was just too jarring.

Add to all this that my wife and I are certified Amazon.com junkies. I mean, we buy damn near EVERYTHING from that online mecca of trade! I myself have been buying the "Lannister's share" of my books, music, and movies from there since 1998 -- no joke. And I can say that I've never, ever had a bad transaction with them. You heard right. Never. So needless to say I trust them explicitly. Also, up until this new Nook came out recently, the Kindle was pwning the eReader industry left and right. It's still the number 1 standard right now, but the touch screen on B&N's latest version is quickly closing that gap it seems.

Whatever. I shall wrap this gift up and present it to my wife on Saturday (shhh, don't tell!). And we shall see how she responds.

Hell if she doesn't like it . . . then I suppose I'll have myself a new eReader, hey! :)

12 comments:

The Frisky Virgin said...

I'm sure she'll love it. My friend has a Kindle and thinks it's the best thing in the world. lol

I can't quite bring myself to get a Kindle or Nook...I still love good old-fashioned books. Can't help it. :/

getyourselfconnected said...

David, I am old skool too, no fake books here, thats why I have a den with tons of bookshelves!! Nothing like feeling "Time and Again" in your hand, the magic. Nothing like reading the darkness of "Revenge of the Sith" in full hardcover form.

But that's just me and I am messed up.

David Batista said...

Oh, you'll both come around. They all do. Eventually. :)

Actually, I'm a big proponent of the "physical" book, too. I have six 7-foot tall cherry wood bookcases crammed to bursting with books at home!

But, see, a lot of my books are cheap paperbacks. And the way I see it, you might as well save the space (and the trees) and have all those types of books in digital format.

The idea is that for the classics or that occasional huge bestseller tome that just released, we'll still go the traditional route and buy the hardcover. But for the quick 300-page read, the Kindle will work fine.

And honestly, just from reading iBooks on my mobile, I can't explain just how addicting it becomes. I read everywhere--at home, at work, on the subway, standing in line, sitting in the waiting room. So having a virtual library in such compact portable form is a godsend.

Also, you can read newspapers and magazine subscriptions on it, too! All for something roughly the size of a trade paperback and thinner than half a deck of playing cards.

Watchtower said...

David the traditional gift for the 6th anniversary is candy or iron.

You could have gotten her a nice cast iron skillet and suggested that she beat a path into the kitchen and get to cookin'...on second thought the skillet might be thrown in your direction with force.
Yeah that Kindle idea is sounding better and better, good choice!

David Batista said...

LOL! WT, you always crack me up!

And I do all the cooking in this marriage, so that skillet would be my gift to myself! :)

Oh, and we SOOOO don't follow the "traditional" anniversary precedent. We just get whatever we want for each other. Almost like a mini Christmas, half a year later.

Yvonne said...

I chose the Kindle as well! hahaha Though, I'm with FV and GYC, I have an ongoing love affair with my books. ALL OF THEM! Congratulatons on your anniversary, may you have many, many, many more awesome years together! I'm sure she'll love the gift too! :)

Kim Kasch said...

I LOVE my kindle but I also really enjoy my son's color Nook. That's the one thing I miss on my Kindle, the photographs, covers, everything that needs to be in color. But for reading, my Kindle is the best :)

getyourselfconnected said...

Nice watchtower, too funny!

Jennifer Hillier said...

I'll say this is a good call, since I have a Kindle, too!

So... does she love it? Happy Anniversary!

You know what's interesting? Even though I have a Kindle, I still buy just as many paper books as I did before. I just buy more books now OVERALL because of the Kindle.

David Batista said...

Yes, she did love it in fact! And thanks, Jen! :)

I still buy physical books just as much as before. But you're right . . . digital eReaders like my iBooks and Kindle apps on my iPhone and (now) iPad 2 allow me to read even more than before. The convenience and portability of digital readers cannot be denied. Here in NYC it seems like EVERYONE has a Kindle. Even this old lady sitting next to me on the subway this morning was rocking her Kindle. Go granny!

In the big cities, at least, where public transportation is as ubiquitous as it is time consuming, people are starting to wizen up to the advantages of eReaders. Soon, too, will the rest of the world follow suit. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! :)

Alittlesprite said...

I love my eReader (which is the Sony). They do make a great gift. Your wife will love it.

David Batista said...

Thanks, Sprite! Yeah, she *does* love it in fact. I was going to look into the Sony reader, but completely dropped the ball on the research. So I ended up deciding between the big two in the field as of right now. But I've heard good things about it.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin