Monday, August 15, 2011

Random Thought Of . . . August

Yup, I said AUGUST. Because that's probably how long it will take before you hear from me again, judging by the absence of anything Batista on this blog lately.

Yes, yes, I know I've been a bad blogger. But while I'm not ready to come back to full-steam posting mode yet, I figured I'd let you in on the most recent question to pop into my mind a few minutes ago while I was working out:

Why don't all the major booksellers figure out a way to allow people who have purchased the print version of their products to scan the barcode on their receipt with their smart phones or tablet PCs and download the electronic copy for free?




Really, is that so hard to do for us loyal customers?

I only ask because I have a ton of hardcopy books sitting on my shelves in need of reading, but I no longer carry physical books with me when I leave the house. These days, all my on-the-run reading is done on either my iPhone or iPad. It's terribly useful, especially on my mobile since that's always with me when I leave the house. I only read physical books when I'm curled up in bed at night and have 30 - 45 minutes to spare before Mr. Sandman knocks me over the head and it's lights out.

So, being that I'm a loyal book purchaser from such places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble, why can't I just download copies of those self same books on the Kindle and Nook apps, respectively, that are on my portable devices?

I mean, talk about being GREEDY! No wonder the industry's in the crapper.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

The Frisky Virgin said...

That's a really good question. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions because I'm still old-school when it comes to books. Surprise, surprise, right? Yet another thing I'm old-fashioned about. lol

I do confess, the electronic thingy looks pretty awesome. :)

Yvonne said...

Hey bloggie! :) So, okay, I am anti-electronic book thingy -anything! I am still a lover of tangible books and also have tons of them sitting on my bookshelves. I guess I will embrace it eventually, or never. ha! But you actually pose a great question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Are you having a good summer? You'd better not be killing anybody without me! :)

They do that with DVDs, don't they? You buy a movie on DVD and you get the code to also download it to your computer? I always thought this would be a nice idea for books as well, especially for customers who have e-readers but still like paper books. Or even as an add-on for a small amount, like 99 cents for the ebook if you've bought the hardcover already.

Mind you, I have no idea as an author what this would mean for my book sales. But as a reader, I TOTALLY get where you're coming from.

Alittlesprite said...

These days so many people "acquire" e-books in other ways, I guess they want to get any money out of you that they can.
So it's a matter of weather you don't mind paying for them or go look for free torrents of them :)

Currently reading A Storm of Swords. Most excellent:)

Kim Kasch said...

I've had the same thought. I love books but hate carrying them - the kindle is so much lighter. I have tons of books I haven't had time to read - yet - that I could read on my handy-dandy lightweight version.

David Batista said...

Frisky -- It's my opinion that everyone will switch to digital sooner or later. It's just a matter of time before you're ONE OF US! :)

Yvonne -- Nice to "see" you again! Like Frisky, I know you'll embrace it. Trust me on that.

Jen -- The good people are safe since I don't have my partner in crime. Btw, in case you didn't see it, I *finally* left a review of your book up on Amazon. Better late than never, right?

Sprite -- Yes, like I said: GREEDY! But you're right, maybe this will just force me to look for "free" versions elsewhere of the books I already own. That's not stealing then, is it? Is it??? :) Oh, and that's fabulous news! So glad you're well and deep into the series. Once you start, you can't stop!

Kim -- Yes! Someone who understands.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin