Saturday, October 29, 2011

Suddenly In The Mood To Re-Watch Game Of Thrones



. . . Because, Winter is HERE!

Okay, okay -- no, it's still Fall. Let me not get carried away. Heck, it's still OCTOBER for crying out loud! It never snows in NYC in October. Ever! And yet it did today.

Many of you know how much I love Winter. And snow. And so today it was like Christmas came early for me. Completely threw my body for a loop! All morning long I kept thinking it was much later in the year than it actually was. It all began shortly after 11 am. I looked out my windows and saw:




Holy HELLS! Now, yes, before some of you start: I know this is nothing compared to the Midwest or whatever. But that's not the point. Trust me, we're not strangers to snow here in New York, either. No, the point is that it is only October 29th. It's not even Halloween yet!

Another thing is, the stupid forecasters got it all wrong. They kept going on and on all last night about how only the surrounding areas of upstate New York and New Jersey would get snow, and that NYC would have mostly rain and ice during the day today before turning over to SOME snow near midnight. Well, guess what? They were WRONG! And not only was it snowing so early in the day, but it started to pick up furiously less than an hour later:




Wow! Now that's what I like to see! I was so happy I didn't know what to do with myself. Fortunately (or, maybe the best word is UNFORTUNATELY, according to my wife), we had to go out in this stuff! Yup, Lisa and I had already made plans for today, and so off we went. I couldn't get over the fact that we were busting out the winter clothes so soon, too -- coats, boots, gloves and scarves! The temp reading was a nice 34 degrees out. In October. Before we left, I took one last pic. You can already see how it's starting to stick and accumulate, despite the fact that the trees and grass are still green here:




All in all, this was a delightful surprise for a Saturday. It greatly lifted my spirits, and at the same time I got to witness some pretty sketchy looking driving on the roads from drivers who should really know better about handling themselves in snow. I drove through not one but TWO freakishly cruel blizzards last Winter and survived, so I felt like I was a master at it by now. Today's snow was great, but in actuality it really only amounted to a dusting. Child's play, really. I imagine it will all be gone by mid-afternoon tomorrow, too. Bummer!

Still, I find myself daring to hope this means we'll be getting an early and ferocious Winter. I honestly thrive on such chaos, it seems. I absolutely get off on it!

Yes, I said it before and I'll say it again: I am WEIRD! :)

Hope all of you are having a fun weekend as well. Unless of course you're Texas Rangers fans, then . . . uh, yeah.

9 comments:

Antares Cryptos said...

Winter is coming.

At least it doesn't last decades, you wouldn't be so happy then.

Unless you're really weird.;)

David Batista said...

Yeah, a decade's long winter really would be too much even for me. Although, it would make for a glorious spring! I always wonder how in the A Song of Ice and Fire world they plant, harvest, and store enough crops to sustain people for many years of winter? Especially in the North, where it's perpetual snow throughout the season.

Hmmmm . . .

Botanist said...

Even a light dusting of snow still excites me too. I guess that comes from growing up somewhere where it was a true rarity - once every 7 or 8 years maybe. I think it would be different if I spent half the year in the stuff though.

Alittlesprite said...

Love your snow pics. Be thankful it isn't a long summer..
Have never seen snow in RL but intend to one day.

Yvonne said...

i love your pics. i think i was meant to live in the "snow" part of the country. i get so excited when it gets a bit chilly, imagine what would happen if it were to snow here like in ny! i'd be like a kid in a candy store! lol weird is overrated. :) oh and how about dem cardinals!!!! :)

David Batista said...

I have to say, I wasn't expecting so many snow-positive comments from you guys. I'm so used to folks hating on the stuff around here. :)

But yes, it was a magical day! I hope we have a good winter this year. I do know that this was a freak rarity and in no way indicative of how the next 5 or 6 months will go . . . but a boy can dream!

Kim Kasch said...

So weird it's kinda spooky isn't it...perfect for this time of year but I feel sorry for the kids who will be out looking for treats.

Ashe Hunt said...

Yeah, it was very cool seeing the snow. Sucked that I had class but I got out early, so, it evened out I guess. I just knew you were bouncing around in happiness, too.

Jennifer Hillier said...

I miss snow, I really do. Mind you, I say that now, having been spared freezing temps and icy roads for the past four winters.

Those are beautiful pictures!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin