Wednesday, December 14, 2011

G.I. Joe Done Right!

So, I don't think I've talked about it much here . . . but I hated that live-action G.I. Joe film that came out 2 years back: The Rise of Cobra. It wasn't a spectacular fail of my 80s childhood by any means (I liked it a lot better than the Michael Bay Transformers movies, for example), but it still left a lot to be desired by this fan.

Well, looks like that might all be changing when the sequel hits theaters next summer. At least, going by the recently released trailer, that is. Check it out below for yourselves:





Whoa! I like! I like it very, very much. I don't know how this is possible, but in some ways this one little trailer alone is far better than the entire 2009 film. HOLY HELLS! And yes, yes . . . I know that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is now in this as "Roadblock," and that all the talk is about Bruce Willis's surprise cameo as the original "Joe" -- General Joe Colton. That's all cool and all. And, in fact, Willis's delivery at the end of the trailer is just damn hilarious!

But forget all that! Do you know who I'm excited to see in this movie the most? My favorite ninja girl -- Jinx!




You spot her a few times in the trailer with the red blind fold. She's a scion of the famed ninja clan, the Arashikage, and is a disciple of the one and only "Blind Master" (played by the RZA, of all people) -- hence her "blind" fighting style, which I just think is the epitome of AWESOME!

I first fell in love with this character in the original G.I. Joe cartoon movie released back in 1987. She was part of the new rookie recruits known as the "Rawhides", trained by "Beach Head." In fact, one of my all time favorite scenes in the movie is when Beach Head gives her a hard time and tests her to see if she's got what it takes to join his team. Check out the clip below, which I'm sure will bring back tons of memories to you fellow 80s kids out there! :)





They just don't do animation this well anymore, do they?

And, oh how I love this scene! And from this point on, little 10-year old me was a die-hard Jinx fan! I would even dare say I had a huge crush on her. *blushes*

So, imagine how pleased I was to find out that the talented and beautiful French actress, Elodie Yung, would be playing her in the film. Are you serious? SCORE!!!! To be sure, I only know her previously from the movie, District 13: Ultimatum -- but she was one of the more memorable presences in that otherwise forgettable film.




Yeah, I think she might just work out fine!

G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation is currently slated for release on June 29, 2012 -- the weekend before Independence Day here in the States. I, for one, will be there opening day!

9 comments:

Jennifer Hillier said...

This sounds like fun! I did not see that G.I. Joe movie from two years ago, but I might see this one. I mean, if The Rock is in it... :)

David Batista said...

Glad to see you have your priorities, Jen. :) I'm actually glad he's in it, too. I'm in the camp that every movie The Rock is in is the better for it, regardless if the movie stinks.

The Scorpion King--I'm looking right at YOU!

getyourselfconnected said...

I remember those cartoons of course! Missed the last film, probably will miss the second too. Just love those old cartoons too much.

David Batista said...

I know, man! One of these days I should gather together all the old 80s action cartoons I loved as a kid--Transformers, Voltron, G.I. Joe, He-Man, Sliverhawks, Thundercats, etc--and just have a big weekend marathon. Pretend I'm 8 yrs old all over again. :)

Kim Kasch said...

Gotta love those Ninja girls :)

Yvonne said...

Um, the Rock. That would be the only reason I would see it too. :)

Alittlesprite said...

looks good.. can't wait.. I really liked the first movie, but then I never saw the cartoons.

David Batista said...

Kim -- Yes, I must confess. Ninja girls ROCK my world!

Yvonne -- *rolls eyes* Figures! :)

Sprite -- OMG! You actually enjoyed the first one? Wow! But I'm glad you're one of the few to comment who actually *wants* to see the sequel on its action-movie merits alone. Kudos!

Alittlesprite said...

Like I said I've never seen the cartoon, so I was a G.I Joobie (newbie)..lol! So yeah, I liked the first one:)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin