Sunday, February 5, 2012

Are You Ready For Some FOOTBALL?!!!




Today is the big day, oh yes!

So here we are. I can't say I knew this would happen. I distinctly recall at the beginning of the season saying that my team didn't have a chance in hell of making it past the regular season, let alone the Big Dance. Yet here they are, and I couldn't be more stoked!

I've been avoiding social media all day so as not to run into all the too-boisterous fans of either team. Actually, I wanted to avoid the naysayers the most. I have a few of them on my friends list, all locals. Or rather, I should say, recent transplants to NYC from other locales throughout the U.S. For some reason these people--almost to the last woman--feels the need to loudly talk trash about the home team and root for that OTHER squad instead.

The hell is up with that?

I'm not saying you're required to root for my team or shut up . . . but have a little respect at least. These people always come across as extremely butt-hurt that *their* hometown team didn't make it to February. And because they know they now live among the "hated enemy" of New York sports fans, they feel the need to denigrate our collective festive spirit into vile negativity.

Well, I'm not having it today! So I've banned Facebook for the duration of the night. Maybe I'll check in tomorrow morning when the dust clears.

In the meantime, I'm about to get my 4-mile run in for the day before settling down to the game with some fresh fruit and a protein shake. Yeah, I'm sorry to say . . . but that's how I roll! :) I'm in what I call "training mode" for the past 3 months or so, whereby I have a strict workout and dietary regimen to get all lean, mean, and fit. I do this every other three months, with my off months being a more relaxed eating and exercise schedule, but still health conscious all the same. As such, I won't be pigging out on barbecue and chips during tonight's extravaganza as is traditional, but I will still enjoy myself.

And who knows, maybe the wife will sneak in a pizza when I'm not looking. And then, you know . . . who could blame me for joining in, right? I mean, you can't let a perfectly good pizza go to waste, can you? There might be buffalo wings involved, too, I hear. What's a guy s'posed to do, I ask ya?

By the way, sorry for being M.I.A. this weekend on most of your blogs (you know who you are). Unfortunately, I had to attend the funeral of a very close family member and these past two days has been a restless nightmare for me. I slept for 12 hours straight last night, I was so tired! Woke up late this morning (or early afternoon) feeling a whole lot better, but still I have this lingering sadness hanging over me. My wife, too. I've been to far too many of these in my short life, and unfortunately I know I will have to go to a lot more before my time eventually comes.

Sorry for the turn toward the morbid. I've been thinking about life and death and all that fun stuff these past 48 hours or so. I'll be fine, but I just need some time. Needless to say I haven't been online much since about Thursday, so please bear with me.

Tonight's game will be more for distraction and relaxation. Whatever the outcome, I intend not to take it too seriously. In fact, I find that I wouldn't be too upset if the other team wins. Not because I want my team to win any less . . . but because they are a tough opponent and have the better record. And because we kinda embarrassed them that last time 4 years ago, so there's that whole revenge undercurrent going on. As a writer, I do so much love a good revenge story!

So, good luck to the fans of both sides tonight. Either way, it plans to be a great show of athleticism and sportsmanship (one hopes). May the best team win.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm sorry for your loss, sweets. Hope your grey days turn colorful again, soon. Congratulations are in order, your team kicked ass!!! I was rooting for them too! Simply because NE irritates me so! I love how you're so disciplined with your eating habits. I am getting better at it, but still struggle a little bit. My friends and I ate enough for you, your wife and about hundred other people! Can you say, "detox"??? I'm on it, starting tomorrow! :)

David Batista said...

Thanks for the kind words, Yvonne. Still in a funk this morning, but that HUGE win last night certainly did help a lot. I mean, WOW! For a while there during the 3rd and 4th quarters I felt the world spiraling down around me to a darkened abyss. And then . . . and then that miss by Wes Welker and the STUPENDOUS catch by Manningham made me believe in miracles once more. I've never been so surprised by a sports turnabout as during last night's game. HOLY HELLS, but that was amazing!!! :)

Well, glad to know you were cheering along, too. You're too cool for school! And sounds like you had a good time chowing down. SCORE!!! Don't be too hard on yourself. We all struggle, and even I've been known to falter more times than I care to admit. This is my last month of the strict routine, so I'll probably reward myself in March with a night of pure decadence, food-wise. ;)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin