Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Own Path

So 2013 is here and it's time for me to turn over a new leaf. Simply put, I need to get back to writing seriously. Due to those issues with my personal life I keep hinting at, I've slacked off something serious over the past two years. I think I may have written maybe three brand new stories in that time, revised one or two others, and completely re-drafted my novel in progress, which is still only one-third of the way done. That might seem pretty good progress, but it actually isn't for me. Not for two years' time.

But I think I feel my spirits starting to rise a little, despite my ongoing situation. Well, perhaps in spite of it is more accurate. I just feel like ENOUGH IS ENOUGH already! I need to refocus and remember my goals. I  refuse to be beaten down.

And yes, hopefully this means I will write more here on the blog. Can't promise anything, but I will try.

For the foreseeable future, my plan is simply to write. That's it. Write. Oh and read, of course. Can't forget to do that. But actually, this has always been my philosophy. I have a very simple one, dedicated primarily to the bettering of my craft. I don't go in for conferences, or genre cons, or constantly discussing agents, synopses, and other assorted mundania of the business side of writing. I will get to that some day for sure, but right now all I care about is becoming a better writer. Finding my voice and perfecting my story-telling techniques. For the short term I'm in it all for the love of the pure art of writing. Since a child I wanted to write so that my dreams could be realized on paper. This is all I should be focusing on right now, to bring this realization to fruition. To that end, there is no better formula than planting butt in chair and to write, write, WRITE!

Right?

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Right! ;) I haven't written/worked on my stories since November. Aside from writing in my blog or commenting on other people's blogs, I completely shut down that part of my life. And you know what? It sucks. I have also decided to get on the writing frenzy marathon that is going around with my writer friends. Your situation is understandable David. You're dealing with personal issues that clearly have been affecting your mind set. But maybe now, being a new year full of endless possibilities, maybe now you can refocus and start cranking out those words of yours, to form your stories. Just WRITE! That's what I'm going to do.

Kim Kasch said...

Love that dreams on paper :D

I'm dreaming today on paper ;D

Cin said...

I am very excited to hear that you will be returning to writing. Pursue your dreams and go after what you want. After all, we only live once. Right? :) Looking forward to reading many more of your stories.

Alittlesprite said...

Exactly.. I need to do the same with my painting. Having sold a few recently has raised my spirits up, and I am getting my "mojo" back it seems.

David Batista said...

Yvonne--Good, we're in this together. I wish you luck! We both need a better 2013 than 2012.

Kim--Keep that dream alive! :)

Cin--My first reader. :) Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm excited to get back to writing, so let's hope I can keep to my goals in 2013. We need to talk over my next story some time. I've got a few themes I need to rehash and keep straight in my head.

Sprite--Yes, you've been on quite the run lately. I love hearing about my friends' successes! Go you! :)

Antares Cryptos said...

I wish you success!
2012 sucked my creative mojo out of me.
Maybe in 2013 I will get to paint about it.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin