Monday, March 5, 2012

Goodbye, Jim!



As I posted a while back here, I've started watching the blu-rays of the original 1960s Star Trek show which I received for Christmas. I'm on season 2 and have finally come across one of my favorite episodes from that series -- "Amok Time," where Spock returns to his home world of Vulcan in order to participate in an ancient marriage ritual hearkening back to his people's violent past.

Yes, this is the episode where Spock and Captain Kirk FIGHT! Not only was this episode brilliantly written, but it contains some of the most iconic music this show is known for. Especially during the scene where the two good friends must battle each other for their lives:





However, watching this scene invariably reminds me of the famous Jim Carrey parody included in one of my favorite dark comedies of the 90s, The Cable Guy. In it, he and Matthew Broderick go to Medieval Times and Carrey's character bribes the show operators to allow him and his "best buddy" onto the arena floor for a memorable match--unfortunately to the surprise of Broderick's character. Hilarity ensues, especially if you watch the above clip from Star Trek first, then followed by the one below.

I mean, this is fucking HILARIOUS by a Warp Factor of 11! :)





Tell me you are not amused.

11 comments:

Botanist said...

Aah! It's only a flesh wound :)

Kim Kasch said...

My hubby still loves Star Trek

My favorite episode was the Tribbles...I think that was their name

David Batista said...

I know, right? LOL!

David Batista said...

Yes, that's their name, Kim. The episode is called "The Trouble With Tribbles," and I'll be getting to it in a few episodes this season. Can't wait, as that one is one of my childhood favorites! :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

Their outfits make me laugh!

Are they ever going make another Star Trek movie? I liked the new one that came out a few years back - but it's in been awhile now. Is the franchise already dead?

David Batista said...

Oh yes, you best believe they're doing another new Star Trek movie! In fact, I was just watching set footage the other day. They're in the middle of filming, and I believe it comes out next year. So, YAY! :)

Yvonne said...

One of my brothers is a die-hard trekkie. He even dressed up as Captian Spock a few years ago. I used to watch it with him sometimes but I would always end up falling asleep! heh!

David Batista said...

Heh, indeed! You missed out on a great show. Your loss! :)

The Frisky Virgin said...

I feel like I just traveled back in time. When I was little, my dad's job took us all over the country. On one of our trips with him, we watched the old Star Trek reruns every night. We all had loads of fun watching them. I miss those times so much.

Thank you for posting this. :)

David Batista said...

Wow, seriously? Your cool points just increased by like a THOUSAND, Frisky! :) That's just awesome!

The Frisky Virgin said...

LOL--Yep, seriously. I was so intrigued with the show, I can't even tell you. ;)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin