Monday, March 5, 2012
Goodbye, Jim!
As I posted a while back here, I've started watching the blu-rays of the original 1960s Star Trek show which I received for Christmas. I'm on season 2 and have finally come across one of my favorite episodes from that series -- "Amok Time," where Spock returns to his home world of Vulcan in order to participate in an ancient marriage ritual hearkening back to his people's violent past.
Yes, this is the episode where Spock and Captain Kirk FIGHT! Not only was this episode brilliantly written, but it contains some of the most iconic music this show is known for. Especially during the scene where the two good friends must battle each other for their lives:
However, watching this scene invariably reminds me of the famous Jim Carrey parody included in one of my favorite dark comedies of the 90s, The Cable Guy. In it, he and Matthew Broderick go to Medieval Times and Carrey's character bribes the show operators to allow him and his "best buddy" onto the arena floor for a memorable match--unfortunately to the surprise of Broderick's character. Hilarity ensues, especially if you watch the above clip from Star Trek first, then followed by the one below.
I mean, this is fucking HILARIOUS by a Warp Factor of 11! :)
Tell me you are not amused.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular On This Blog
-
Kids are aware of a great many things going on around them than most adults realize. Especially the unpleasant things. I'm often amaze...
-
( Ep. 1 -- "Winter is Coming" reactions. ) So here we are, episode 2 of Game of Thrones: "The Kingsroad." I actuall...
-
As many of you already know, I'm a HUGE fan of Highlander. The first movie is in my top 10 of favorite all-time flicks, but the tv sh...
-
Last year during our very first trip to Paris, I made it a point of identifying and locating as many filming locations for Highlander: The S...
-
It's been a fun 4 weeks leading up to this 5th episode, but now it's time to get serious! If I'm remembering the books correct...

Aah! It's only a flesh wound :)
ReplyDeleteI know, right? LOL!
DeleteMy hubby still loves Star Trek
ReplyDeleteMy favorite episode was the Tribbles...I think that was their name
Yes, that's their name, Kim. The episode is called "The Trouble With Tribbles," and I'll be getting to it in a few episodes this season. Can't wait, as that one is one of my childhood favorites! :)
DeleteTheir outfits make me laugh!
ReplyDeleteAre they ever going make another Star Trek movie? I liked the new one that came out a few years back - but it's in been awhile now. Is the franchise already dead?
Oh yes, you best believe they're doing another new Star Trek movie! In fact, I was just watching set footage the other day. They're in the middle of filming, and I believe it comes out next year. So, YAY! :)
DeleteOne of my brothers is a die-hard trekkie. He even dressed up as Captian Spock a few years ago. I used to watch it with him sometimes but I would always end up falling asleep! heh!
ReplyDeleteHeh, indeed! You missed out on a great show. Your loss! :)
DeleteI feel like I just traveled back in time. When I was little, my dad's job took us all over the country. On one of our trips with him, we watched the old Star Trek reruns every night. We all had loads of fun watching them. I miss those times so much.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this. :)
Wow, seriously? Your cool points just increased by like a THOUSAND, Frisky! :) That's just awesome!
DeleteLOL--Yep, seriously. I was so intrigued with the show, I can't even tell you. ;)
Delete