Friday, August 19, 2011

We're Experiencing Technical Difficulties . . .

Arrgh! This is so FRUSTRATING!

Seems my main home PC is suffering from some nasty bit of malware that came "from God knows where, infecting [it] with God knows what!" Kudos for anyone who knows what favorite movie of mine that's taken from. Here's a hint:




How do I know my PC's infected? Because suddenly my anti-viral and malicious software removal tools refuse to operate. I get some bullshit message saying that Windows cannot find the file path or whatever, even though I just used these programs not that long ago. I'm also unable to get the latest Windows Update download no matter how many times I try.

Lastly, anytime I try to download anything new to help fix the problem--up to and including online-only runs--I get cock blocked each time by this bullshit denial window.

Like I said -- ARRGH!

Now, in case you didn't know, I run a tight ship on all my computing products. Nothing irks me more than an infected PC, and I go to great pains to ensure that these things don't happen. It's why my machines always last so long. But of course, you can only do so much. And despite your best efforts, something eventually does slips through. In the eight years I've had this same PC, I've had two previous invasions. The first was pretty easy to fix, while the second (around 4 years ago) was hell on wheels to diagnose and eradicate. It took me two weeks before all the dust had cleared and I stood victorious over the smoking corpse of that last trojan.

This one, though, makes that last attack look like the Spanish-American War (to the Americans, naturally). I'm afraid what I'm dealing with here is the Great War itself. Or perhaps the Battle at Helm's Deep? Whatever it is, it looks bad!

I'm going to be busy for a while getting to the bottom of this. It sucks, because I have so much other crap to deal with right now that I need to attend to. Not this. But if I don't nip this in the bud now, there's no telling how much worse it will get.

Wish me luck!

Consequently, I'm also tentatively looking into a new PC. After 8 years, it's damn near time I upgraded. This baby did great to hold out that long with nary a problem, but now it's feeling a little bit long in the tooth. Notwithstanding this latest snafu. I might have to downgrade this PC to a word-processing only machine, but only after I clean her up a bit first.

So, that's what my weekend is shaping up to be already. *sigh* How's yours starting off?

8 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Super yummilicious over here! Cupcake Wars in my own house...

I love baking but eating even more.

I'll send sweet thoughts for your computer. I HATE computer problems :(

Jennifer Hillier said...

You must run a tight ship on your computing products, because your computer lasted 8 years! I don't think I've ever had a computer last remotely that long.

It's a big purchase but I think you've earned a new computer.

And I think it's safe to say that my weekend is going better than yours. Sending you good vibes that you fix your computer issues soon, whether that means fixing the old one or buying something new.

Ashe Hunt said...

Yeah, computer problems SU-U-U-U-UCK!!!! Having some of my own so I'm with you. And my weekends are work days (nights really) so they always half suck at best. ;-) Kick that computer virus' ass!

Yvonne said...

Eight years? That's impressive! So you're due for a new one! You've earned it, I'd say! My weekend is going well! Sending good vibes your way!

getyourselfconnected said...

Eight years? What is that thing a commodore 64? I kid, I kid.

Love the film "The Four Rooms". The lighter scene is a classic. Hope you get the issues sorted out soon.

getyourselfconnected said...

Oh yeah, I am going to be in NYC for the FIRST TIME!! October 10-12th for a conference on the 11th. I will need travel advice, can you help me out?

David Batista said...

But of course, my friend! I'd be more than happy to help you out with anything. Just let me know. That's so cool that this will be your first time in the city. Wow! I don't even know where to begin! :)

Btw, awesome new icon! I'm thrilled you went with that one.

David Batista said...

And thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. This has been a long weekend battling the PC demons. It was touch and go there for a few hours, and I'm not entirely done yet. But I *think* I've ironed out the most major of issues. Still have a bit of work to do, which is why I've been so scarce these past couple of days. The way I see it, everything should be worked out one way or the other by mid-week.

So, in other words . . . there may still be life left in the old girl after all! :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin