Friday, June 8, 2012

You Keep On Completing Me

Last year around this time, I posted this blog entry about a severe increase in visitor stats to The Bimillennial Man. At the time, I had gone from having unique visitors in the 10s and 20s per day, to over 60 and even nearing 100 each cycle.

Many of you had kind words of encouragement then and congratulated me on this progress. And I, in turn, thanked you all for making it possible. And, of course, for taking the time out of your busy schedules to stop by once in a while.

Now, a little over one year later, that sentiment still stands. Thank you all for remaining loyal visitors to this humble blog. And to those of you who only lurk, my heartfelt thanks goes out to you as well. Trust me, I know who you are. I can see your IP addresses!

But I thought I would update you all on the state of things now. Yes, I haven't been able to blog as much this year as I'm accustomed to doing. Some of that was intentional, while most of it was not and was due to circumstances beyond my control. And yet, despite it all, I have to say the numbers have been crazy this year! Looking back, I scoff at thinking I was anything special with a mere 80 unique daily visits. Wow, cool dude. That's awesome!

But now, everything has changed. Things are starting to get serious. At the start of the year I saw the blog's stats double. Whoa! And as the year went on, it just got even more bizarre, increasing more than 400% over last year's numbers. And these past several weeks in particular have seen the site's traffic reaching stratospheric heights! Here's a snapshot of the chart, provided by Blogger's new built-in tracking system:




That's well over 400 hits each day! Now, because this is a new tracker over the one I used last year, I can't rule out that the numbers might be slightly skewed here. I do know that you can get wildly different results from one tracker to another. Alas, my old tracker is a buggy piece of crap and can no longer be relied upon. Also, while I am still not including my own visits to my blog, I can't rule out the fact that a good portion of these numbers are from people who are not truly landing on my page, per se, but instead retrieving my pics through Google Image Search. Let's face it, I put up a lot of pics--particularly in my Game of Thrones reviews which, just like last year, continue to be the prime generator of around 80% of the traffic this blog receives daily. Sheesh! People are going absolutely bananas for this show!

To clarify, I went from receiving 60 to 100 daily visitors last year to now averaging between 380 and 680! Last Sunday alone saw me reach a site high of 730 unique visitors in a 24-hour period. Wow! I'm guessing I have the Thrones' season 2 finale to thank for that! If I expand the chart to cover my yearly numbers since this blog opened back in 2008, you can get a better sense of just how rapid the increase in numbers has been over the past 4 years:




That's what I call progress!

Now, let me make something clear. I am not sitting here thinking that I'm something special. I'm well aware that I have the tv show to thank for most of this. You pick something wildly popular to write about on your blog, and chances are your numbers are going to skyrocket. Also, I'm well aware that quite a few of my regular commentators here have blog numbers that far trump mine. After all, some of you have dedicated followers alone numbering in the hundreds. I only have 30. And it's my fault, too, that. I really need to get out there in the blogosphere and meet more of my fellow bloggers. I know, I know.

And yet, I can still feel a sense of achievement with these numbers. Maybe you only like me for my screencaps, maybe you like me for my non-Thrones content. But whatever the case may be, I appreciate the hell out of you all for visiting me here. Ya'll are the best.

'Nuff said!

9 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

Great work David. I have stepped back myself with new science job but I always stop by during the week.

David Batista said...

As I live and breathe! A GYSC sighting! How's it been, man? I remember you stating that were switching companies. Hope you like where you're at now. Let me ask: less robots, or *gulp* more? And thanks for stopping by, it's always a pleasure to have ya!

Kim Kasch said...

It's not just the t.v. show. It would have to also be your writing about the t.v. In other words: Talent

:D

David Batista said...

Aww, Kim. You say the nicest things! :)

EconomicDisconnect said...

No robots a all, just hard science and invention. Really happy but no time for much else. The way it goes. Hope you are well and your family my friend.

Yvonne said...

Those are impressive numbers, my friend! Yay!!! For me, it was not the t.v. show at all, as I have no interest in that type of program. -As I've made abundantly clear from time to time! ha! No for me, it was your story about being bullied while growing up, and how your mom was murdered. That story stuck with me and struck a chord within me. And then there was the story of how your kicked diabetes in the ass! THAT is always my go to story, when I'm feel like giving in. So, thank YOU for inspiring not only me, but others who also battle some of your same demons. Oh and of course, you're just a very talented writer. -This sounds oddly like a roast or something! :)

David Batista said...

Thank you, Yvonne. It's good to know you come for other reasons than my obsession with a tv show--LOL! You know, you remember stuff that I forgot I wrote about here. But my counter tells me I have 770 blog posts since late 2008, so I guess that's to be expected. :) Glad to have you as a friend.

Ashe Hunt said...

Well deserved my friend. The future is only going to get brighter. And GoT might have brought many people but I know that it is your excellent writing that kept them reading, clicking other posts, and passing the word along. I look forward to the not so far future when I get to write a foreword about how I got to read Author David Batista's early works, the seeds which germinated and became the awesomeness in which the rest of the world now gets to witness! [OOOOOH! I'm gonna use that too! :-)] I always have a smile when I read your words my friend! We all appreciate you as much as you appreciate us! Keep it up!

David Batista said...

Thanks, man! It means a lot. You've been my first and number 1 fan since the very launch of The Bimillennial Man. I appreciate the support.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin