Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Out Brief Candle . . .

Since I was out of the country for two weeks and of sporadic Internet access, I completely missed the sad news from fave sci-fi writer, John Scalzi, about the passing of his family's pet Akita, Kodi.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a dog person. In fact, I'm not much of a pet person at all. But Scalzi's account on his blog of Kodi's life and what she meant to him and his family is probably the most touching tribute to a beloved pet I've ever read:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/07/17/kodi-1997-2010/

Please check it out for yourself. Trust me, you will be moved to tears. I know I was, which is no small feat. But by the end of the article, I couldn't help myself. Perhaps because I've been reading Scalzi's blog now for several years, and had grown to appreciate his affection for Kodi and laugh at her often serious demeanor and antics with the several cats in that household during this span. I don't know if that is why the news hit me particularly hard, or if John's writing was just so beautifully rendered as to pull at a particular set of heart strings. Probably a little of both. In any event, a loss to the family is sad no matter what.

If any of you are dog lovers out there, be prepared with a box of tissues if you click on the above link. Just a fair warning.

Farewell, sweet Kodi. I did not know you personally, but your passing is felt heavy on my heart nonetheless.

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin