Sunday, September 7, 2008

How My Dreams Help Me Write (Sometimes)

A little under two years ago I had all four wisdom teeth pulled out at once. Rather than be put under, I opted for the local novocaine route and stayed awake throughout the procedure, mostly because I didn't want to trouble anyone to accompany me to the surgeon's office. Anyway, they gave me Vicodin for the pain, but I ended up only using three before calling it quits. I had too many weird dreams while on that stuff. In one such dream, colors were talking to me. I carried on a conversation with my pals blue, red, and orange. Green showed up halfway through just to say hi, but had to split.

Point is, don't do drugs kids, mmmkay?

Anyway, when I woke up I thought I had the perfect premise for a story. I ended up writing "Ascending the Sending Road," a 10k story about a planet where the native lifeforms were sentient plant life who communicated by means of color broadcasting. It was an interesting piece, to say the least.

Saturday morning I woke up laughing from another weird dream, but this one centered on a famous sci-fi movie franchise I won't mention. The dream was so strong that I immediately jumped out of bed and ran to my PC to start typing. I just finished the tale this afternoon. It's called "Galaxy Far," and came in at just under 6k. I'll probably edit it down to around the 5k mark in a week or two. But I had a lot of fun writing it.

So, yeah, sometimes my dreams help me to write. Although I doubt I'll ever resort to drugs to get my muse, as tempting as that may be. Vicodin was too scary for me to handle. :-)

1 comment:

Ashe Hunt said...

Yeah, yeah! Drugsssssss. Bad for you, yet, sometimes so inspirational. That first paragraph is funny as hell. But dreams can be very useful for stories. (I have a list of 'em I need to get to.) "Ascending the Sending Road" is good proof of that. You know I really like that story. I personally never had any weird affects on any drugs I've taken. Nothing illegal. Just doctor prescribed stuff. Vicodin, codiene, no real side affects. I personally like nitrous oxide though. That's my shit. You really do laugh at EVERYTHING on that stuff, but that's what it's supposed to do. That all. Keep writing!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin