Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Mutant Power

Went to the dentist this morning for a routine check-up and cleaning. My appointment was at 10:40, and I walked through the door . . . exactly at 10:40. Like, on the dot. The hygienist looked up and smiled, then said to the receptionist: "Yup, what did I tell you? Always on time!"

Heh, heh. Guess they're not used to patients showing up on time. But what can I say, I'm a stickler for punctuality. I have this sick ability to always manage to show up exactly when I say I'm going to.

Everyone around me knows this.

When I rented the Zipcar that one time, Tarrell told me to pick him up at 12, and even despite traffic hang-ups and a small technicality at the garage, I still managed to pull up in front of the building at 11:57. The thing is, it's not like I was speeding or anything to make it on time. I somehow *know* when exactly to leave my house depending on the situation, whether I'm treading on new ground (driving to a destination) or familiar territory (taking the subway). The only times I've been horrendously late was when the ole NYC metro system throws me a curve ball and grounds to a halt for no explicable reason.

Otherwise, I'm quite dependable. Most of this is due to my anal need for order and reliability in my life. I expect others to keep to their word and be on time, and it's because I demand no less of myself.

But there's been a few times where even when I don't get to leave my house when I had planned to . . . somehow the travel gods look out for me and manage to get me to my destination RIGHT ON TIME. Not 5 minutes early. Not 15 minutes late. But almost right on the dot! It never fails. And it's just a little spooky, to be honest.

So yeah, if I have any mutant powers, this is it. True, I'd rather have supersonic flight, or maybe the ability to freeze time (imagine how much sleep you could get!). But that's life, I guess. :)

4 comments:

JHON said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Captain Hook said...

I am a compulsively early person. Usually by 30 minutes. And the only times I'm late are when I have to wait for someone else, or I am depending on someone else for a ride.

Ashe Hunt said...

I don't know. I think that's also a result of decent upbringing 'cause I'm usually on time or early to appointments myself. Shit, that's how I made my bus to VA yesterday. Got there RIGHT on time, even thought he damn MTA bus was late as hell.
I can't stand being late. It's annoying.

David Batista said...

Yeah, I'm sure it does have something to do with personal discipline. Because tardiness in other folk sure does indicate lack of discipline in my book.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin