Wednesday, April 28, 2010

David Anthony Durham Interview


Just read a cool mini interview of relatively new writer David Anthony Durham in this month's edition of Locus magazine. As you can see, it's the one featuring an interview with James Blaylock front and center on the cover. Another good interview, that. But not why I'm writing in today.

As some of you may know, Durham is the winner of the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer and author of the epic fantasy Acacia: The War with the Mein (2007), and its followup The Other Lands (2009). I'm currently reading Acacia, and all I can say is: Durham is a boundlessly talented writer! I recently attended a reading of his here in NYC, and Tarrell even ran up to him with *my* HC edition of The Other Lands to have it personally autographed to me. How cool!

In the interview this month, I particularly liked what he had to say about his early "starving writer" years living abroad in France with his wife and not finding the conditions of being dirt poor all too appealing:

"I had no Internet, and I didn't really speak French. So it was writing all day, and cooking food for my wife when she got home. She was supporting us -- we were really, really poor. I guess it sounds romantic, but over the winter I would turn off the heat when she went to work. At the time I didn't love being in my sleeping bag with my fingerless gloves on, typing away."

I just get a kick out of this! That's so how I feel when people say they're "envious" of the hardships I've endured to get to where I am today. They tell me it builds character. I say: I'd rather have had a normal life, thank you very much.

But that's neither here or now.

Anyway, check out the rest of the interview by clicking . . .

Oh wait, you can only read this by purchasing the issue or subscribing to it. Oopsie! Guess you'll just have to take my word for it. But suffice to say: the interview is GOOD!

Or, you know, you can stop being a cheapskate and sign up to receive this wonderful SF semi-pro zine at your doorstep every month. It's what I do.

Click on this link and subscribe today!

No, seriously, the Locus staff are good peeps and work so very hard to ensure a quality issue hits the street every month. If not the subscriber type, you can find single issues to purchase at the magazine section of your local big chain bookstore, too.

So there, you've got no excuse! I personally read Locus to stay up to date on all the latest and forthcoming books in the SF world, as well as to keep an eye out on all the future big names in the making. But the magazine offers so much more than that. I can't sing its praises high enough.

3 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Sounds interesting. Turning off the heat...yikes - I don't think I could survive.

David Anthony Durham said...

David,

Hey, thanks for the mention. I remember signing your book, too! That was a fun night.

Kim,

Well... it wasn't that bad. At least I had fresh baguettes and croissant every day, and developed a love of Brie de Meaux.

My computer sometimes didn't like it, though. I recall it protesting the cold on occasion. I was desperate, though, and I've probably never been more productive than during those chilly months. So...

-David.

David Batista said...

Mmmm . . . Brie de Meaux!

My wife and I are recent travelers to France and I never knew I could begin a love affair with "pain et frommage" after so many years not really caring much for either. I still can't find bread even here in NYC that comes close to how it is at the local boulangerie across the street from where we stayed in Paris.

Btw thanks for visiting, David! You reminded me that I needed to update my link to your blog in my "Interesting Folks" sidebar.

And, yes, the night of your reading at KGB was particularly fun. Very good crowd. It was a pleasure meeting you.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin