Thursday, December 1, 2011

Boston, Prepare Thyself!

I may be all up in your shiz come President's Day weekend!

Yup, folks, I think this my be it. I think this may be the time I finally pop my cherry (of sorts) . . . and attend my very first ever science fiction book convention! What in the seven hells could I possibly be going on about? Why, take a looksee for yourselves:




Yes. I've been giving it a lot of thought lately, and I think I just might be able to pull this off. I've known about Boskone for quite a few years now, and each year I promise myself that this will be the year I go. And then I never do. But that's it. I'm putting my foot down! This time I will not flake out. Boston is also not very far from NYC, so I really have no excuse. The con itself is being held at the Westin Waterfront, somewhere downtown on Summer St. near the Boston Convention Center.

Of course, my decision is made all the more easy by the fact that the one and only John Scalzi, extraordinaire, will be there in person as next year's Guest of Honor. I missed him the last time he was here in New York promoting his novel, Fuzzy Nation. So this may just be my chance to make up for that oversight.

To be sure, Boskone will have a lot more to offer us con goers than just His Baconess alone, radiant though he may be (or maybe that's his cat?). If you take a gander at last year's program, you can see that Boskone is no joke when it comes to jam packing the weekend with lots and lots of interesting and varying things of a geeky nature for us fans and newbie writers to squee over. Since all this will be new to me, however, I'm pretty sure I'm going to utterly screw up my time management skills during this event. There's just too much to do! But oh well, no time like now to finally learn. And Boskone is a relatively small convention compared to, say, your Worldcons or DragonCons.

I'm very excited, though, but also not yet decided on this course of action. I'm going to give it a few days to stew over the pros and cons of going before finally taking the plunge. But in the meantime, if anyone has been to any Boskones past and/or would like to use your powers of persuasion to convince me to go, the comments section below is at your command. Use your powers for good, though.

Thank you.

9 comments:

The Frisky Virgin said...

I've never been to anything like that, but I know people who have been to Comic Con and the like and they all say it's one of the best times they've ever had. :)

David Batista said...

Okay, so that's one positive suggestion in favor of me going. Thanks, Frisky!

I believe Boskone is more of a professional convention compared to the largely fan service zoo of most Comic cons. The panels are more geared toward people either already in the speculative fiction business, or trying to get in like me. Still, I know for a fact that all are welcome at Boskone . . . so maybe it's a little of both.

I might just get the chance to find out.

Yvonne said...

No, don't think about it or analyze it because then for every reason you have to go, you'll find another reason not to go. Just do it! My friend Jason who's pen name is Jason Khristopher, attended ComicCon in San Diego a few months ago and he was ecstatic about it! "Go toward the light David!" lol My lame attempt at humor! :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

I totally think you should pop your cherry and go. I remember being all freaked out going to my first conference (ThrillerFest, in summer 2009), but I came back all inspired and armed with what I needed to revise my book. And it was so worth it, being around "my peeps" who got why I write what I write.

Boskone sounds like the perfect conference for you. And Scalzi will be there? HELLO.

GO GO GO!

getyourselfconnected said...

Great site for the conference! Umm, YES you should go because I am taking you to Ruth's Chris for dinner one night! Easy decision IMO. Plus it looks fun.

David Batista said...

Yvonne -- You have a point. I should take the plunge and JUST DO IT! :) Thanks for that.

Jen -- Yeah, if not for Scalzi or someone equally awesome as the GOH, I probably would have more hesitation. But at the very least I can get some books signed!

GYSC -- Haha! You make a very convincing argument. And, of course, you are too generous. I would love to take you up on that offer if I am indeed in town. Yes, it does indeed make the decision easier.

Hmm, looks more and more likely I might end up going. I'll keep you all updated on this front when I do in fact decide. Thanks so much!

Ashe Hunt said...

Ummmm, you are going because I am going to make you. 'Cause I am going with you! This will be epic fun! You have no choice in this matter young padawan.

David Batista said...

I was going to talk about this with you, in fact, to see if you wanted to come along. But I wasn't sure if you could anyway, given school and . . . a certain big event fast approaching for the two of you. :)

Ashe Hunt said...

Yup, that's why I want to go 'cause I'm not going to have time to just up and bounce on fun trips like this for a whiiiiiile after she gets here!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin