Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Paris . . .

As I posted on Facebook, I'm still in Paris. I'm at the same internet cafe in the Latin Quarter that I used to frequent last year during our first trip to the city. Everything's great here! The weather has been absolutely beautiful -- clear skies, high sun, 65F/17C temps. I mean, can you ask for a better vacation forecast than that? I don't know what crack the long-range weather forecasters were smoking when they informed me that this week would be a cold, windy washout here in the city of lights. But I'm sure glad they were completely wrong.

Anyway, we just spent the entire day traipsing across the length and breadth of the royal palace at Versailles. If any of you have ever been there, you know the estate is HUGE!!! Right now my feet are sore, but I'm in great spirits. It was a really fun and educational experience.

Yesterday just before sunset I got to climb the 400+ steps or so to the bell tower atop Notre Dame cathedral. It was quite the adventure, believe it or not. One that will stay with me for years to come. I really enjoyed the views from the top, and got to chill out with some rather jaded gargoyles keeping watch over the city. Can't wait to post the pics of that!

We're staying at the same hotel we stayed at last year, and in fact were able to secure the same exact room again. It''s a great little hotel on rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile on the quaint historic island in the middle of the Seine, the Ile St. Louis. Love it, love it, love it there! Although, next time, we might just rent an apartment instead. The hotel is lovely, don't get me wrong. But Lisa and I feel comfortable enough with the area that we would prefer to be able to shop for our own food at the local markets and prepare our own meals at home rather than always having to secure reservations at various restaurants every evening.

Yes, that's right . . . we're starting to feel very acclimated here. We travel the metro each day without barely a second thought now. I'm completely fearless of this city . . . every street I walk down I feel fully confident on how to get back home. It's amazing how much I've learned already in just two trips. Paris really is feeling like our second home.

So, ain't that something?

Anyway, just wanted to check in and let you all know we're doing fine. Unfortunately we only have two more days left here. But, hey, we'll be back again soon!

(And, yes, I'm bringing back some great Bordeaux wine to help with the Paris blues when we return to NYC).

2 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

My sons over there too - he says Nice is nice ;)

David Batista said...

Oh, that's right Kim! In all the hubub of trying to get some last minute preparations done before we left for Paris, I completely forgot you'd mentioned Luke and Mackenzie (sp?) were going to be there at the same time. Sorry we missed them, but I'm glad they're having a "Nice" time. :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin