Friday, March 19, 2010

New Tech: Yes, Another Digital Camera

Well, as inevitably happens before I leave for a trip, I went out and purchased a camera upgrade to take with us to Paris. Introducing the Sony 10.1 megapixel Cyber-shot:




After years and years using not one but TWO separate Canon digital point-and-shoots, I've become frustrated with the brand's lack of functions and washed-out color balance. Sony is a name I do in fact trust, and this camera in particular is serious business. Not quite as serious as an SLR, but a marked improvement over what I had before. Just take a look at that lens!




This baby has a 10x optical zoom and a much higher digital zoom (I forget the exact number), which allows me to focus on objects much farther away and with better clarity than ever before. What I particularly like is its low-light sensitivity. In fact, I would say this was the single most important reason for getting this model. I take a lot of indoor pics with the flash off for warmer, more honest pictures in order to avoid the awful whiteout effect of most flashes. For me, this method is ideal for, say, museums. Which, if you don't already know, Paris has more than its fair share of.




This is the camera with the lens fully extended. Maybe it's the fact that it's dressed all in black . . . but isn't that just one SEXY beast?

Oh, and did I mention that it shoots both stills and movies at high-def resolutions? Oh yeah, silly me. Forgot to mention that. But, yes, now I can review my pics and trip movies on my new HD-TV in full glory. The menu on the cam also allows for a 16:9 ratio setting, so this means the images will fill up the entire viewing surface of any wide-screen television. Yet another thing this camera does better than my last.

Lastly, because this is a Sony device, the cam also uses Sony's proprietary "Memory Stick" for storage. This is significant because, in order to view HD photos and video from your camera on an HDTV, you first need to buy a separate Sony adapter.

Unless.

Unless you own a PS3. If you do, then all you have to do is slide your Memory Stick Pro Duo out of the camera and into the corresponding slot on the front of the PS3 and -- VOILA! Instant HD viewing. This is made possible, of course, by the fact that your PS3 should already be connected to your tv using high-def connectors like Component or HDMI cables. In this sense, the game system becomes your HD conduit.

Gotta love convergent technology, eh?

Anyway, I can't wait to put this camera through its paces in what is perhaps the most photogenic city in the entire world. And if you'd like an early preview of the basic picture quality this model has to offer, look no further than the pics used in my recent God of War III Ultimate Edition blog entry yesterday. The pics of the packaging were an initial test run of the camera once I had the battery charged and the software loaded.

Not bad. Even better now that I've already gone and tweaked the settings to my liking. Sweet!

2 comments:

thE gEOgrAphicAlly blind said...

is that a DSLR? how much did that cost? i'm planning to get a new camera too as my current one is a useless 3.0 megapixel. i was thinking of canon. no good?

David Batista said...

No, it's digital point & shoot. Not a DSLR. It cost me around $200 U.S. and so far has been operating perfectly!

You can get a Canon. They're actually pretty good. I'm just tired of always using them, so wanted to switch to another brand and give Sony a try. I'm happy with my choice.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin