Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Top 5 Super Bowl Commercials

I'm a little late with this. Guess you can say I'm still celebrating the New Orleans Saints win against the hated Colts. Not that I was ever a big fan of the Saints, but I really did not want to see Peyton Manning win. I really don't want to see any Manning win, although that's sort of blasphemy since his brother, Eli, is the QB for my Giants. And I definitely want to see the Giants win again in the near future. Still, the Saints win was like a win for all of America, considering how beleaguered their home city has been ever since Katrina hit.

They deserved the win, and I have to say that was a pretty good game all around. The intercept catch and TD that sealed Indiana's doom in the 4th was just the sweet icing on the cake, though. I could (and have) watch that play over and over until the cows come home.

But, all that being said, I think I would be remiss in not mentioning a favorite SB pastime. And that would be catching all the creative and often-times hilarious commercials that air during the game.

There were a lot to choose from, but I was able to pretty handily narrow my picks down to just 5. These are the 5 company ads that resonated most with me, for various reasons which I shall briefly explain after each individual commercial.

Click on each video to see the full commercials as they appeared on Super Bowl Sunday. Then comment below on what you think about my picks, or what your own picks might be.

Here we go:

5) GOOGLE



This is a powerful commercial, for obvious reasons. I mean, I know it's kind of on the cheesy side, but hey . . . sometimes cheese works! Lisa and I loved it because, as I mentioned earlier in this entry, we're planning to head back to Paris. And like in this ad, we'll be booking our flight out of JFK airport and landing in Charles de Gaulle (CDG), too! It's scary, because believe it or not this is like the tenth time in the past 2 weeks that we've seen references in tv to Paris. There's even a John Travolta movie out set in our favorite city. Hey, do you think it's a sign? I haven't finalized the plans yet, but now we all but HAVE to go, it seems. I can think of worse mandates to carry out, can't you?


4) SNICKERS



This one received some controversy from PC asshats who labeled it "sexist" and degrading to women because it's implying that low sports acumen is equivalent to a man "playing like a woman". To which I say: WTF? Did you watch the same commercial I just watched? This ad is saying that if you don't eat Snickers, you'll play football like an ELDERLY person. Not just a woman, either. Abe Vigoda is not an old woman. I'm guessing the media never bothered watching the end of the commercial. Sexist my ass! Ageist is more like it.


3) DORITOS



This was a lot of folks' number 1 pick of the night. And I agree that it is hilarious. However--and I'm not one to normally jump on this particular brand of soap box--it does alarm me that for the commercial depicting a single mother going on a date, they chose to use a black woman. Now you might not think this was deliberate. After all, Doritos commercials do generally tend to trend more toward multi-cultural casts due to the demographics of Doritos eaters. However, if you stop and think about it: do you really believe they would ever have used a strawberry-blond caucasian woman as the single (unwed) mother? Hmm, probably not. Still, stepping off my conspiracy theory platform now, it was pretty funny. I'm not that little boy's daddy, but I would have to dish out some retaliation for that. You don't hit grown folk unless they hit you, son!


2) E*TRADE



Lisa and I got a huge kick out of this! This was definitely Lisa's favorite, and perhaps mine, too. I'm a sucker for these E*Trade talking baby ads. I just think they're done so well, which I can appreciate. But this one takes the cake. This is probably their best one yet, and now Lisa and I are forever walking around the house shouting "Milk-a whaaaaat?" to each other. LOL! How could you not like this?


1) BUDWEISER



In lieu of the more humorous slant their Bud Light ads often take, Budweiser as usual went the sentimental route for their regular beer. And, boy, do they really pull at the heartstrings here! This, for me, was the best commercial of the night. I get goosebumps each time I watch it. I know, I know, it's just a commercial about a baby Clydesdale and his bovine pal . . . but darn it! I can't help but get a little misty eyed. I love the message: Friends don't let fences get in the way. Awwww!

So there you have it. My top 5 favorite Super Bowl commercials of 2010. Any opinions?

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin