Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Stab At The Sevens



The lovely Kim Kasch over at The Writer's Blog tagged me with this meme. And while I usually avoid these things like the plague, I decided not to be such a grouch this *ONE* time and actually play along.

Anyway, here's how the meme goes:

1. Go to page 77 of your current manuscript.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy the next 7 sentences exactly how they're written. No cheating!
4. Tag 7 other writers to pass this meme on to.

Now my current novel WIP doesn't yet have an official title, but it's based on the 1990 Nintendo game from Konami, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. Some of you may recall this project from a while back here. While I haven't been able to work on it lately as much as I would like, I do at least have more than enough pages written to fulfill these requirements. So here goes. This is taken from the middle of Chapter 5, where my demon hunter and his erstwhile companion find themselves in dire straits:


"Even as his mind panicked he registered another flash of lightning, this time striking the very ground behind the creature’s feet. Before he could make sense of the peculiar nature of the approaching storm, however, the Cyclops shook him mightily as if to dislodge every bone within his body. 
"Trevor groaned and struggled against the stone grip around his throat. His vision swam as he fought for air, all the while staring into that solitary unblinking eye looming so large above him. Grant screamed at him as if from far away, but a rising din in his ears drowned out the mariner's words. Whatever they were, it seemed terribly important. 
"With the last measure of strength left to him, Trevor brought both fists to bear against that huge orb."


Hmmm, it's been a while since I've visited this scene. I don't even remember how long ago I wrote this. I'm currently writing chapter 12, just for reference. And, no, I did NOT cheat! This is exactly how the 7th line of the 77th page begins. But it's amazing how it begins on a new paragraph, isn't it? I lucked out! And the scene actually still makes sense within the constrictions of this meme. Kewl!

Now tell me, does this make you want to read more? Does it?

I don't have 7 writing friends to rub together. At least, not 7 who are blogging and also in the midst of writing a novel. So I'm going to skip that part. However, if you are one of those friends and you are reading this, please assume I tagged you and, well -- hop to it, buster! And don't forget to inform us of your efforts below in the comments section.

And again, thanks Kim for the tag. You're the best!

3 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Very kewl David. Thanks for playing. I think it's fun seeing what everyone is working on. And you're right, you're lucky that yours started and stopped in such perfect places.

I like the cyclops in the story. And I'm such a fanpire, you know, Dracula is very inticing . . .

Botanist said...

LOL! I'm so glad someone finally cracked your tag time grouchiness :)

Sounds like Trevor's in trouble. And amazing that the snippet makes a coherent whole. I got tagged with this one too recently, and my sample happened to make sense too. Odd how it works out like that.

The Frisky Virgin said...

Um, I wanted to keep reading. I love the sample. :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin