Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cuz I Figured, What The Hell?

You may recall a few days ago I mentioned here that I was mulling over the idea of adding a word counter bar on the blog to update people on my progress with the novel I started earlier this week.

Well, looks like the decision has been made! Check it out right now, my very own progress bar. It's currently located above the "About Me" bio on the top right of the page, titled appropriately enough "Current Novel In Progress." If you want your very own progress bar, head on over to Writertopia's website and pick between two counter styles. The one I picked is the simple version called a "picometer." The other one is far more elaborate and is represented by a cartoon that graphically changes depending on what mood attributes you assign to the HTML coding. That one was just way too overboard for my tastes, however.

Depending on which one you pick, you'll have to go into your Blogger design settings and pick Add A Widget. Then pick the one that allows you to add basic HTML/Java tags. Follow the instructions on the Writertopia site and insert the HTML code into your widget box, write a title for the box, and VOILĂ€!

As you can see by my counter, I've made some headway in 7 days, but I still have a long ways to go. I had to decide on an overall word count for the novel, though, in order to generate that counter. Which is something I don't yet know. Originally I was aiming for something in the range of 80,000 to 100,000 words -- which is about the size of a sleek, quick-paced and tidy sci-fi novel. However, after completing a rough outline and getting a better understanding of my chapters, I can see I'm going to need more room to capture all the elements I'm planning on including.

Which shouldn't come as a surprise since I'm writing an alternate history fantasy/horror hybrid and not a sleek, cool sci-fi action piece like my usual. Fantasy novels tend to be longer, anyway. My goal will be to toe the fine line between "epic" and bloated piece of crap, though. Geez, I hope I can pull this off!

I'm not ruling out the fact that I might need to increase the goal marker, however. Although I hope not. 120,000 words is A LOT! To be honest, I'm pretty sure I'll come in more at the 100 to 110k range, though. But since this is my first attempt at a novel, I concede the possibility that I could be way conservative in my estimate. Time will tell.

In the meantime, if you're ever sitting there wondering just how the hell this novel of mine is coming along, now you can look at the top of the page and see for yourself. For those keeping score, I had a very slow start at the beginning of the week, and then made up a ton of lost ground near the end of the week and over the weekend. In fact, I'm about to head back to 15th century Wallachia right now and continue this here novel of mine . . .

See you later!

2 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Awe...mazing progress. I'm way behind you but hoping to pull forward on the curve ;)

David Batista said...

That's the spirit, Kim! :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin