Monday, November 15, 2010

First Major Milestone!

Wow, just look at that WiP counter in the upper right hand corner of this page. As you can see, I've been very busy working on the novel for the past couple of weeks. It started out slow, but now only halfway through the month I've already crossed the 25,000 word mark.

Hmmm, I guess maybe I should have joined NaNoWriMo after all. I mean, the goal for that is 50,000 words by the end of the month. And I'm halfway there on the 15th!

But, alas, where for most participants 50,000 marks the end of their novels . . . it won't even be the true halfway mark for my own work.

Good thing I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, though, so damned if I should care. As of right now I've written 6 full chapters, and part of the 7th. In actual page count I've written roughly 80-something double-spaced manuscript pages. Which, in terms of a hardcover fantasy novel you'd purchase from a bookseller, is only about 60 pages or under.

Yeah, not a lot, but I'm not daunted. Mentally I envision myself as only having barely scratched the surface. So I 'm still full of piss and vinegar to continue doing what I've been doing. I don't know if I'll be able to keep at the same exact pace over the next few weeks, because so far I've been blessed by no interruptions despite my always full schedule. But considering next week is a major holiday, I can't promise I'll be able to rely on another 2 weeks straight of consistent writing EVERY SINGLE DAY as I've been able to do so far.

But I'll get damn close. One thing about me is that, once I start a writing project, I write day in and day out without fail. I don't allow myself excuses, and only miss a day when I have absolutely no choice due to some family engagement or work-related snafu. And even then you'll find me sneaking in a few hundred words on a notepad or a family member's PC when I have a couple of minutes. Yes, I can be manic about it sometimes. I wasn't sure if I could keep the habit going with such a huge project like a novel . . . but so far, yes, I can!

As always, keep an eye out on that counter. I can't guarantee it will always progress so steadily, but at least by now you should get the idea that I'm not bullshitting here.

This is for *REAL* folks!

2 comments:

Botanist said...

Awesome going, David. And if you've reached 25k and still feel like you've barely scratched the surface then it sounds like you're on a good course for a novel-length story. It would be really worrying at this stage if you felt you were on the home stretch!

Hope you have the stamina to keep going! Remember, this is a long distance event, not a sprint :D

David Batista said...

You know what's funny, Ian? That's the one thing I've never been worried about when taking on this project -- not having enough to sustain me, I mean. My problem is the opposite . . . I don't know if I'll be able to contain this huge story in just under 120,000 words. The way I see it, I might have to end up extending it to the 150,000 mark. Which is still right in the ballpark of most fantasies.

No, I've written 25k so far and yet I definitely have much more to say and do in the novel. Much more. I know I'm doing something right when I crawl into bed, thoroughly exhausted and burnt out -- vowing to take a day or two off before I start the next chapter -- only to wake up the very next morning and say to myself: Yeah, I'm *so* ready to jump back in this adventure!

Each new day finds me eager to continue where I left off the night before. I think I've said it before, but this novel is my new addiction. (Not that I have any *old* addictions, mind you.)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin