Thursday, April 21, 2011

Jammin' To Bollywood



Despite the implication of this entry I wrote a few days ago, I *do* listen to music frequently and throughout the day. Mostly when I'm at work and need something to distract me from the brain-numbing boredom of it all. As such, I was rocking out on this fine day to some very awesome tunes from the sub-continent. Yes, that's India to some of you!

Now, despite the title of this post, it's not really fair to call it "Bollywood" music. True, most of the music does in fact come from Indian cinema, or filmi . . . but they're not technically Bollywood movies since some of them were filmed in other locations other than Mumbai, and in languages other than Hindi. Which is why I use the term "Indian filmi music" to represent my playlist.

Actually, this particular playlist today at work revolved specifically around the compositions of one A. R. Rahman. He's one of my all-time favorite composers/musicians still working today -- and not just in India, but all over the world! I don't know if anyone who reads this blog listens to world music, or Indian music (either traditional or cinematic, or both) in particular, but if you don't you might want to check out some of his work.

Really, though, this post is just my excuse for pimping out one of my numerous Apple iTunes playlists once more, as I did back in this blog entry in January. Still, I hope that maybe some of you will find the means and the time to sample some of these tracks if you haven't already. This is some seriously cool music!

Anyway, here is my filmi playlist courtesy of A. R. Rahman (movie titles are italicized):

"Chanchan" -- from Water
"Dheeme Dheeme" -- from Zubeidaa
"Rasika" -- from Star 
"Narumugaiye"* -- from Iruvar
"Maargazhi"* -- from Sangamam
"Uyire Uyire" -- from Bombay
"Shyam Rang Bhar Do"-- from Water
"Anbendra" -- from Minsara Kanavu
"Chinna Chinna Aasai" -- from Roja
"Usilampatti Penkutti" -- from Gentlemen
"Kannaalaney"** -- from Bombay
"Naina Neer Baha"-- from Water
"Kannodu" -- from Jeans
"Kannamuchi" -- from Kandukondain Kandukondain
"Yaro Yarodi" -- from Alaipayuthey
"Poraalae" -- from Karuththamma
"Piya Ho"*-- from Water
"Evano Oruvan"* -- from Alaipayuthey

*this is one of my favorite tracks.
**this is my most favorite track.

And if you would like a little taste of one of these songs, below is the music video for "Kannaalaney" as it appeared in the filmi Bombay:





Despite all the colors and joyous dancing, this is not necessarily a happy movie. It's a "Romeo & Juliet" type of story between a Hindu man who falls hopelessly in love with a young Muslim woman during a time when rising tensions between both religious factions comes to an explosive head in the city of Mumbai.

Because of this song in particular, Chitra is my favorite singer! I think she has the prettiest voice out of all the filmi singers, and a range like you wouldn't believe. That's her voice you hear in the clip, but Manisha Koirala is the actress going though the motions. She's fantastic, too, btw. I've seen a few of her movies now and absolutely love this actress!

What music have you been jammin' to this week?

14 comments:

getyourselfconnected said...

I never would have guessed that playlist, way over my head! Tried a few out, lively but not my type of tunes. I guess we are different after all, what a relief! (kidding).

I can only submit the greatest live tune ever recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfhHSVSZN74

If you like occult and darker tunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKwS3SbVVw&feature=related

Sorry for the links, but you asked. I am off to Antigua in a day!

David Batista said...

Oh, I love Ozzy! Thanks for those links, man.

But the thing about me, as this post demonstrates, is . . . I have the most eclectic taste in music out of ANYONE I know. No, I mean seriously. I'm all over the map! I can listen to death metal, and then on the very next track switch to Chopin. I do this all the time. There's no rhyme nor reason to my selection. And I've found that I enjoy music from all cultures, no matter how obscure it might be to those around me.

So, in other words, I don't mind if we don't have my love of Bollywood tunes in common. It's apparently an acquired taste for those not raised on that culture (as I was not).

Case in point: currently I'm listening to Russian rap as I type this.

Yeah.

getyourselfconnected said...

OK, I think it best if we stop talking. I go from Candlemass (Gallows end) then load Samuel Barbers "Adagio for Strings"! We may be brothers!

David Batista said...

Ah-ha -- so you see! I guess it's not just me then. Btw, I'm a HUGE classical music nerd. Probably what I know best, musically speaking, in addition to "Oldies" from the 50s and 60s. I was a strange kid growing up.

Oh, and for those keeping track . . . I've just added Youtube links to all the Indian songs listed above. Click on some of them and witness for yourself the tremendous beauty and talent that goes behind this music. Most of the videos are to the scenes in the movies they belong to. And, yes, I've watched all of these. I even own some of them on DVD.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Okay, so I don't know much about this kind of music, but I love Indian food! Does that count? No? Maybe next time do a favorite foods post! :)

This week I am ALL OVER the new Foo Fighters album.

I actually like all kinds of music except country. I have a passionate dislike for country. Sorry to any fans out there, but country music makes me want gouge out my eyes just so I have something to put in my ears to block out the sound. Dramatic, I know, but I'm a writer, and I can't help it.

David Batista said...

I'm not much of a foodie, so I don't know what I can really add to an entry focused around food. I guess you can say I only eat to stay alive, and that's all I care about. :)

There are some musical genres I used to be strongly against when I was growing up. Hip-hop and Country were top on that list. But as I get older, I find myself allowing for even those tastes as well. My grandma is a *huge* Country-Western fan. It's definitely her favorite music, bar none. She even went to Nashville as a teen to sing on stage at the Grand Ole Opry. I believe it was part of a church group trip, if I recall. She loved it!

Oh, and my wife is in obsessed with the Foo Fighters' new album! I might even give it a listen at some point, just to hear what all the fuss is about.

getyourselfconnected said...

I like all kinds of country music, but not all thats for sure.

Watchtower said...

You are an interesting person David, I never would have guessed that you would have a thing for "Indian filmi" music.
I'm so far out of the loop that I didn't even know such a thing existed.
The music sounds as colorful as their clothing is beautiful.

Right now I'm listening to some 'Rocky' type music to help aid me with my mountain bike training.
I've found that having my MP3 player loaded up with some good tunes helps me to put out a maximum effort when tackling hills or doing intervals.
Here's a few songs from the Vision Quest soundtrack that are helping me thru:
'Only the Young' by Journey
'Change' by John Waite
'Shout to the Top' by The Style Council.

David Batista said...

Hey WT, thanks for the comment. I suspect there are a lot of things about me that would surprise most people. Typical or easy-to-peg, I am not! :) I'm of a type that finds all manner of subjects interesting, no matter how obscure.

Btw, you wouldn't believe this, but I just downloaded the huge Rocky compilation set, "Rocky Balboa: The Best of Rocky", to my iTunes a few days ago. I don't listen to music when I run, but I do when I weight train 3x a week. And guess what? I've been using the Rocky songs to get me seriously motivated!

How's THAT for a coincidence, huh? :)

I've also recently added that song from The Karate Kid -- "You're The Best" -- by Joe Esposito to my workout soundtrack. Awesome doesn't even begin to describe it . . .

Ashe Hunt said...

We know I'm a music nut and have been for a very long time! I think I rubbed off on you a bit. :-) Great music. A.R. is that dude!!! Even some hip-hop producers are up on him. Goes to show, good music is good music no matter what culture it's from. I like it all. Even country. Should see me do the Cotton-Eyed Joe!!! I rock out, zone out, zone in, meditate with, work to, and work out to music. I feel like I live a movie 'cause I always have music playing in the background or the foreground of my life. To me, music is one of the last forms of physical magic left to us.

David Batista said...

LOL, T! Yeah, I know you're music crazy! I'll never be into it as much as you are. If I listen to anything for too long my brain starts to turn to mush and I get agitated to the point where I just want QUIET!!! :)

Yeah, I know I'm strange. But I can only listen to any form of music straight for around 3 hours tops. Then I need to remove the headphones or turn off the radio and be left to my thoughts. I've never been able to just relegate music to the background. When it's on, it's a constant intrusion.

Yvonne said...

Your grandmother sang at the GOO??? How exciting is that???! So here's something else we don't have in common -the Bollywood type of music and Country music. I do love world music though. I can listen to almost anything! I'm presently stuck in a showtunes phase. I've been listening to music from The King and I, Carousel, Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story. (my fave!)

The Frisky Virgin said...

Okay. Your Gran sang at the Grand Ole Opery?! One word: AWESOME. I love country (duh, right?). I love how raw and real it is. Not all country is sad and depressing. I love shakin' it to Tim McGraw or Keith Urban or just about any of 'em. lol

Lately, I've been listening to French music. I love it. Specifically, I just popped in the soundtrack to Something's Gotta Give. Have you heard it? It's so calming. :)

Oh! And I've even done some Bollywood dancing! LOVE IT! But, dang, it will kick your bum!!

David Batista said...

To be clear, my Grandma sung as a tour thing. From what I remember, she was part of a visiting class from here in NYC and they let them all take turns on the stage to sing church hymns or what have you.

Still, it was the Grand Ole Opry and she did sing there. :)

I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan thanks to my grandma. To this day, I won't let anyone tell me otherwise that his rendition of the classic Christmas song, The Little Drummer Boy, is not *the* definitive version. I just love his voice!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin