Friday, January 14, 2011

Dead Space 2 Is Almost Here!

Where the *bleep* have I been all this time? Oh right, neck deep in novel and short story writing la-la land for the past several months. Still, this is no excuse. I can't believe I almost missed out on the fact that Dead Space 2 is coming out in just under 2 weeks time!

Whoa!

Now, I know I said I was taking time off from gaming to write . . . but honestly, this is something I can't pass up. In case you don't recall, I talked about the original game in this entry back in July 2009 when I first started it up, and then this one nearly a month later when I was almost done. Wow, what a summer for gaming that was!

Anyway, Dead Space seriously impressed the hell out of me, despite initial misgivings. But words alone cannot explain how high-octane, insanely gruesome and satisfying this title is. To date, it is the one game that almost all of my friends cannot get through because it scared the living bejeebus out of them. Only two of my bros-in-arms finally mustered the courage to see it through to the end. That right there should tell you something about how seriously creepy the title is. It even had me taking breaks to catch my bearings -- and I'm a muther-effin VETERAN at survival horror games!

And now Dead Space 2 is upon us, ready to thrust poor engineer Isaac back into the fray of things. Knowing what happened during the credits scroll at the end of the last game, though, I must admit I have a few sneaking suspicions about what's up with our main dude this time around. Let's just say it's not looking good. But, hey, check out the launch trailer below and tell me you're not as psyched to play this as I am:




Awesome! I could do without the Smashing Pumpkins track blasting over the dialog of course, but other than that it looks like I should be expecting more of the same of what made the first game so damn addictive. And, hey! Isaac not only has a face for most of the game this time around, but a voice as well! He's moving up in the world.

I challenge all my gaming buddies out there to join me on January 25th and put this one through its paces. We can see who makes it the farthest and quickest. And, no, I'm not favored to win because, like I said already -- I'm a little pressed for time right now. Even if I wanted to play this every second of every day (and trust me, I will want to), I'd be lucky if I even get one hour of game time PER WEEK to fight nasty necromorphs with my trusty plamsa drill. I simply have too many things going on in my free hours this year.

We shall see.

Oh, but on a side note: apparently a small set-up game to this sequel was released on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live! last October. Dead Space: Ignition is a non-shooter puzzler done in a quirky comic-booky presentation that's more like an interactive graphic novel than a true, full-fledged game. Okay, that might be selling it short since apparently some of those interactive elements are quite puzzly and requiring you to hang on tight to your gaming hats. Still, it's more story set-up for the real meat-n-potatoes that is Dead Space 2. As such, it might be a good idea for me to download it off the PSN and prepare myself properly for the release date of the actual sequel. You can also get the download code for free by pre-ordering DS2 from any retailer.

I would hazard a guess that Ignition only needs about 2 or 3 hours to beat, tops. Which, in my world, means a good couple of days of sporadic devotion on my end. Luckily, I have a 4 day weekend starting today thanks to MLK day on Monday, so guess what I'll be doing?

Oh yeah!!!

And here I thought I would be getting back into Red Dead Redemption sometime soon. Oh well, so much for that plan.

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin