Friday, August 21, 2009

Things Are Getting Surreal In Dead Space Land (Even More Than Usual)


So last night I made it to chapter 10 in my ongoing playthrough of the PS3 game, Dead Space. In this chapter, Isaac must find a spare space shuttle that's hiding out in the vicinity of the crew quarters in order to escape the nightmare aboard the USG Ishimura. Except, all the control cards to navigate the vessel have been removed by some unknown saboteur (although I have a pretty good idea who it is).

Anyway, on my search for the cards, I discovered the Zero-g basketball court. As the name implies, this is a simple game of basketball turned on its head--with the gravity removed. There are 4 "hoops" and, apparently, players would launch themselves from surface to wall and ceiling pads in this free-floating environment, and attempt to rocket the ball into one of these 4 holes in the wall at the end of the court. Take a close look at the picture above to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Of course, all the players are now dead. So when I show up, the court's deserted. Or, at least, it's *supposed* to be. As soon as I stepped in and the weightlessness kicked in, 4 Lurkers immediately launched themselves out of each hoop and proceeded to "swim" in my direction, throwing acidy spit at me from all angles. I had to jump to each pad, constantly on the move, and attack each enemy individually while magnetically rooted to the surface. Whenever two or more would gang up, I'd immediately re-launch myself to another hardwood patch of floor on the other side of the room--sometimes sideways, sometimes upside down. Finally, when I had dessicated all enemy combatants, I stood in the center of the court huffing and puffing and admiring all the eviscerated body parts floating around in zero-g above me.

*shudder*

I think this game is finally getting to me. But, being the glutton for punishment that I am, this of course only makes Dead Space that much awesome!!!

I wonder what's next in store for me . . .

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin