Friday, May 13, 2011

Is This My Next Game?

Well, Blogger's been offline for the better part of a day now, so sorry for not having any new posts up since Tuesday. And it seems that in order to bring it back online, The Powers That Be had to temporarily delete all posts and comments made after Wednesday morning. I guess this explains why the comments section over on my Ep. 4 Reactions have been gutted. 6 of the most recent 8 comments have vanished!

I'm sure they'll be back shortly, however. No big deal. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a new blockbuster video game title hitting stores next Tuesday. The game in question? Rockstar Games' detective thriller, L.A. Noire.




I've purposely kept myself in the dark until just this week regarding what this game would look and play like. But now that I've educated myself, already I can see that I'm going to have a blast! This is right down my alley. It's got good guys fighting bad guys; clues to be followed and cases to be closed; and a thoroughly researched and historically accurate setting to play in. In this latest opus from Rockstar Games--the name behind the legendary Grand Theft Auto series, as well as last year's Red Dead Redemption--L.A. Noire takes place in the golden age of Hollywood, circa 1947. You start off as a beat cop by the name of Cole Phelps, a WWII vet trying to make a name for himself on the payroll of the L.A.P.D. Through the game you'll work your way up to detective, climbing the ladder through various departments like Vice and Homicide, and collecting clues along the way on various cases. Some of the bigger cases are based on actual crimes from the day, like the infamous Black Dahlia case, to name just one.

So far the visuals are looking fantastic, but of course it's the story and acting I'm salivating over. Real actors were used as the character models in the game, who look remarkably similar to their flesh-n-blood counterparts. These actors provided voices to the characters as well, which gives the finished product a very believable and accurate look. This is important because apparently a big factor in the gameplay will involve being able to accurately read suspects' faces during interrogations. Read a wrinkle of a forehead or the curve of a mouth the wrong way, and you'll send Cole down the completely wrong path.

I mean, WTF? How freaking AWESOME is that??? You'll basically being playing Hal Lightman from the FOX show, Lie To Me! Time to bone up on my micro expressions!

Anyway, enough of this reading chore. Mayhaps some of you will actually like to SEE what the game is all about? Well, if so, then you're in luck! For below is a cool little featurette breaking down just what makes this slick looking title tick. Give it a watch, won't you?





For a video game, L.A. Noire looks and sounds quite cinematic! It's been making some waves in movie circles recently, due to the excellent historical setting and on the strength of its story narrative.

Yeah, like I said: my kind of game!

14 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

My son is thinking of getting his masters in Video Game Development . . . no, seriously

David Batista said...

Hey, good for him! It's a very good field to specialize in.

Watchtower said...

Oh how I wish Rockstar would have a first person option like Bethesda's Fallout 3/New Vegas, it's just more immersive to me that way.
But GTA IV was so good that I will have to seriously consider picking this up.

getyourselfconnected said...

WOWZA!! That does look epic. I never play computer games but that does look fun. Have you seen the two trailers for the Knighs of the Old Republic MMOPG game for Star Wars? Wish they would make that into a film. The fall of the jedi temple is awesome.....

Jennifer Hillier said...

That looks cool! The only games I play are Tetris and Angry Birds. I am terrible at anything that requires more than two buttons to push. But agree, this does look very cinematic.

David Batista said...

WT -- Oh man, I had a little nerdgasm over Fallout 3. If you search far enough back, you'll find my posts on that game. That was one of the most memorably gaming experiences of my life. I agree with you on the need for FPS action on these types of games. At least for the firefights.

GYSC -- Yup, I know all about KotOR, trust me. :) Unfortunately, I never got to play them because I didn't own an Xbox at the time. I have a 360 now, though. And my PC is not up to snuff for computer games, unfortunately. Mostly I game on the PS3 nowadays.

Jen -- We're opposites on that front. I can't get into those games. They're too casual for this serious hardcore gamer's sensibilities. Although I used to totally ROCK the hell out of Tetris back in the 80s and 90s. :)

getyourselfconnected said...

david, no I mean the new games; witness the fall of the jedi temple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjhJcm-lpjc

David Batista said...

Oh yes, that. I know about this game already, but like I said with L.A. Noire above . . . I try not to spoil games anymore until they're about to see release in stores. Over the years, I've gotten so sick of overhyping myself with trailers and assorted vids on games years before they even come out. But I checked out that link and -- DAMN! That does indeed look quite AWESOME! I remember this video now from a couple of years back.

However, I don't play MMOs. Ever. I'm all about the single player experience in gaming.

Yvonne said...

This looks very interesting! My niece is actually the one that told me about it! haha I played Tetris once upon a time!

Watchtower said...

David since I'm new here maybe you'll forgive me for going off topic a bit.
I was wondering if you had ever played Borderlands and if so what you thought of it?

That's probably my second favorite game behind the Fallout franchise (Nuka-Cola forever baby!).

David Batista said...

I wanted very much to play Borderlands, but unfortunately I didn't have the time to invest into it. But it's definitely my kind of game. You're making me regret missing out now.

And I can't tell you how many Nuka Colas I scrounged around the wastelands for to bring back to my pad in Megaton. What's a few extra Rad points for good soda pop? I'd put them all in the vending machine and -- ahhhh! Ice cold Nuka Cola, FTW! :)

Watchtower said...

"ahhhh! Ice cold Nuka Cola, FTW! :)"

Hells yeah! You know that's right!

Rodney said...

Back on topic:
David, you and I have some shocking areas of similarity. In this case, though, I'm not shocked. You recommended Bioshock and I loved it, and I've had L.A. Noire on my radar for a little while. I can't wait until I receive it later this week (I had it set to be mailed to me. No waiting in line and I get a bonus case to solve!!)

David Batista said...

Yeah, I pre-ordered it a while back too. So I get the same case file. I've known about this game since last year, but I've simply disallowed myself to read up on it or watch any videos until closer to the release date! :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin