Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hey, Nice!

Bonnie Norman over at her blog, A Working Title, has an interview up with one of my favorite sci-fi writers, Tobias Buckell. Check it out here.

I loved how he explained learning to write a book by dissecting and mapping out Vernor Vinge's seminal novel, A Fire Upon the Deep, chapter by chapter. That's something I've been meaning to do with some of my favorite books. Hmmm.

Even more interesting is the discussion over non-Caucasians being represented in today's SF -- or lack thereof:

"Q11: Do you think that the fact that Crystal Rain features an overwhelming array of characters of color, including the main character, affected how quickly the book was picked up?


TB: Hard to say. On one hand, it got a lot of rejections, but they didn’t specify why. One house said it was confusing because I was white-looking, but the people in the book were all minorities, and they weren’t sure how to sell that. I know it’s affected some sales, some have emailed me hate mail based on the idea that Caribbean peoples would rule the stars. But on the other hand, I’m still plugging away selling books and gaining readers, so it’s not a show-stopper. Some people are just never going to be your audience."


Read the interview for more.

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin