Monday, December 7, 2009

Gearing Up For Battlestar Spin-off



So, I was searching in vain for a movie out of my home library for Lisa and I to watch last night, when it dawned on me that she'd not yet seen the pilot movie for the upcoming SyFy channel series, Caprica. This is a movie I'd watched on DVD at the beginning of the summer with my best friend, Tarrell, but didn't really think too highly of.

For those of you who don't know, Caprica is a prequel spin-off of the hit sci-fi show, Battlestar Galactica. It basically explores the events that lead up to the Cylon uprising, and is surprisingly nuanced with its multi-level exploration of religious and philosophical issues.

Watching the pilot again last night--and on my gorgeous new 37" HDTV, no less--I was surprised by how much better this second viewing turned out to be. Thinking back on it, I see now that my initial disdain had more to do with how sleep-deprived I had been at the time, and why it's better to watch serious, talkative drama-type shows when you're at least slightly more than half awake. Because apparently a whole lot of nuanced dialogue was lost on me the first time around.

I mean, this was an EXCELLENT 90 minute warm-up to what I'm now sure will be a kick-ass new series for the atrociously re-branded "SyFy" network. It won't be as good as its predecessor, for sure. But then: what is? No, seriously.

If you're at all enamored by the Ronald Moore-created Battlestar Galactica series, you owe it to yourself to check out Caprica this January. But before you do, PLEASE watch the pilot episode on DVD. Esai Morales and Eric Stolz are amazing in it, as is the entire supporting cast with the exception of the daughter. Ick! If they use her character again (which might not be the case), I sincerely wish they would hire a new actress. Honestly, she's a big sore spot in an otherwise amazing production.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it the first time, and a little less the second, but I'm going to check out the series that's for sure. I agree Morale s and Stolz were frakkin' great.

David Batista said...

Really? That's weird -- that was an opposite reaction to mine. But at least you'll be checking out the main series, too. Kewl!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin