Saturday, June 18, 2011

If You Loved Him As Khal Drogo . . .

Perhaps you'll love Jason Momoa as this summer's Conan: The Barbarian?

Yup, they went and rebooted the Conan film franchise. You knew they would one of these days, though, right? I mean, really nothing is sacred in Hollywood anymore.

But you know what? As much as the fanboys of the original Arnie film from the early 80s are bitching over this . . . I have to say this upcoming version of Conan feels more like the source material to me. Well, hell, let me show you guys the trailer so you can see what I mean:





See, to me, this world looks and feels more like Robert E. Howard's Hyboria than the John Milius movie did. The Conan I know and love always had this Lovecraftian feel to it, which this trailer definitely evokes. And Momoa's take on Conan seems a lot more true to the original pulp stories than Arnie's could ever dream of matching.

Of, course all I've seen so far are trailers and tv spots, so it's quite likely this movie could end up being nothing like REH's Conan and more like the Arnie flick than I realize. But for now I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that the filmmakers were smarter than to try and rip off Milius's movie.

I loved the 80s Conan films, don't get me wrong. But I'm not going to pretend I'm not interested in a new take. Yes, the effects look kinda like SyFy channel budget effects -- but I'm still going to be there in the theaters for this. Yes indeed.

Anyone else there with me?

10 comments:

Jennifer Hillier said...

Yup, count me in!

Yvonne said...

Count me in too! I'm curious to see how this will compare!

getyourselfconnected said...

"As much as the fanboys of the original Arnie film from the early 80s are bitching over this.."

THATS RIGHT!!! David my man, this film looks stupid and I am sure it will be. Looks like a new age nightmare with none of the soul or power of the original. I have checked out a few clips and in none of them do I see the chemistry and feeling that we saw between Conan and Valeria from the original. I could be wrong, but just my 2 cents.

David Batista said...

Cool! So that's two yays . . . and one nay?

GYSC, I totally understand where you're coming from. The original movie is a classic, and this new movie is definitely not looking like that one at all.

However, because my reading of the source material precedes even the Arnie flick, I have to admit that that movie really got almost everything about REH's Conan wrong. So much so that it's hard for me to rewatch that movie these days.

I was hoping that this new film would be closer to the pulp stories of old where Conan was first created. But, perhaps this one will fail me in that regards too. For now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Kim Kasch said...

So now that it's coming to an end for a while, I thought you'd find it funny that my boys are so into Game of Thrones. :)

David Batista said...

I don't find it funny, Kim. More like: only natural! :)

It was a very good season, and the finale tonight was just OFF DA HOOK! Especially the very end, which went off about as perfectly as I think anyone could have hoped for. The very last image was also the very last one in the book as well.

I hope your boys have read or are inspired to read the books after this!

Ashe Hunt said...

Yep, I'll be seeing this. Still looks a little too glossy for me but it just might be good. The fighting style they have him using looks pretty awesome.

You know I'm a fanboy for the 80's Arnie version but I agree that this will be truer to the source material and therefore better on GP alone. And Jason Momoa seems to fit the part the more I see him in it. Can't wait.

Watchtower said...

Sacrilege I tell ya, sacrilege!

Rodney said...

I knew you'd eventually come around, David. I could see the potential from the first teaser.

And after seeing him kick ass as Khal Drogo, I have more faith in his fighting ability.

All in all, this looks like it's going to be good!

The Frisky Virgin said...

I'm actually really excited to see this. I get that fans of the original are upset, but I think it could introduce a whole new generation to the stories.

Buffy, on the other hand, should not be remade. And I stand by that. LOL

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin