Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ongoing Vacation Week -- Now With Pics!

I know I'm not supposed to be blogging on my week off while having so much fun in the sun (thanks, guys, for hammering that point home over and over again), but I did promise some pics from the beach. And, so, here they are!

Of course, as per usual, click on the pics and expand the new window if you want to see larger versions.

I drove a measly 2 minutes to the nearest beach from where we're staying in Brewster, Mass. early Monday morning to find the parking lot looking like this:




But before I could rejoice at my luck, I was greeted by this sign:




Drat! If I wanted to park here, I first needed to make a quick detour to the Town Hall for a parking permit. Guess this beach is popular!

I drove to the center of main street and turned down a long side-alley (thank god for the Google maps app on my iPhone), stood in a surprisingly long line for a Monday morning, and then showed my rental car's registration and my driver's license to the nice clerk at the table. She convinced me to get a week long bumper sticker rather than the daily, and then I was hightailing it back to the beach.

This is the sight which greeted me:







Plenty of space for me! Armed with my beach chair, umbrella, book, and snack cooler, I picked a plum spot clear away from everyone else. Lisa was at her conference all day, so it was just me and George R. R. Martin's A Feast For Crows -- Book 4 in the "Game of Thrones" series. Book 5 is coming out in just a few short weeks, so I wanted to prepare myself in advance.

As I engrossed myself in this thoroughly engrossable tome, the beach started to fill up big time. Before long, I was surrounded by large families and their whelps on all sides. At this point, too, the ice-cream truck man drove up and rang his bell, displaying uncanny timing no doubt honed by years of practice. The kids, of course, swarmed the truck. In ones and twos at first, and then in wave after wave as the call went out far and wide: Ice cream was to be had!




Around this time, too, the tide began going out. I've heard of low tide, of course. And even witnessed it once or twice before. But never had I seen it this drastically visualized. What was once a beautiful azure vista of sea meeting shore was now a muddled brown wasteland of soggy sand, revealed pitfalls, and dozens upon dozens of now exposed mollusks.

Below is a before and after shot for your benefit:








Pretty drastic change, huh? People could now walk from the previous shoreline out half a mile into the bay without getting so much as a pinky toe wet! I was properly amazed!

I spent the rest of the lazy day reading, snacking, and napping -- not in that particular order. It was just what I needed, and reminded me that--although I complain about the sun and heat--sometimes a beach day can perform wonders to replenish one's soul.

Oh, don't you agree?

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

I totally agree! And because you posted such beautiful pictures, you get a "pass" for posting while on vacation! :) Nothing like sand, the ocean and the sun to jolt your soul!

Ashe Hunt said...

Wow! I've never seen the ocean recede that much before and I've been to a lot of different beaches. Crazy. Looks nice though. Enjoy being out of this crazy ass city!

Botanist said...

LOL, David, I guess the tide must be quite a sight if you've never seen it go out like that. A lot of beaches on our side of VI are like that too. And when you reach the water you have to walk another half a mile to get in above your knees :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

These are the most perfect vacation pictures, right down to the ice cream truck! I hope you got a big cone that melted too fast and dribbled all over you!

Okay, that was a bit mean, but it's only because I'm jealous. ;)

Kim Kasch said...

I have seen lots of low tides - none like that...WOW!

getyourselfconnected said...

Good stuff David! Yeah, the shelf beaches near the Cape really pull away at low tide. Easy clamming though!

The Frisky Virgin said...

Ooooh, gorgeous pictures!!! I can almost hear the ocean!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin