Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shooter Game . . . Apocalyptic New York City . . . Richard Morgan? Where Do I Sign Up?

This is Crysis 2. It's coming out on all gaming platforms this holiday season. And it's a game who's story is written by none other than my favorite kick-ass sci-fi writer tour de force -- RICHARD K. MORGAN!!!

As some of you already know, this is the guy I want to be when I grow up (sci-fictionally speaking, of course). He's written Altered Carbon, Market Forces, Thirteen, and The Steel Remains to name a few of my favorite tomes. Not to mention his rescuing of the much maligned Marvel super-spy chick, the Black Widow, who Morgan whipped into surprising shape for his turn at the graphic novel in both vol. 1 and vol. 2 of her ongoing saga. And for those who don't already know, Black Widow will be making her big screen debut this week in Iron Man 2, played by Scarlett Johansson no less.

But now it seems Morgan's venturing into video game territory, too. Is there nothing this man can't do?

Anyway, check out the very eerie teaser trailer for the game below:



Looks rather Gears of War'ish, doesn't it? But set in a destroyed NYC instead of on the fictional planet of Sera.

Damn, why must they *always* fuck with my city? That's why I liked Fallout 3 and Modern Warfare 2 so much: they were both set in a bombed-out Washington, D.C. Which, as far as crippling the U.S. government goes, is probably the far more productive target an invading force can choose. Of course in Crysis we're dealing with an invading force of aliens, so what do they know?

I have it on good authority that those who didn't play the original Crysis can still get into this game since it will be more of a reboot of the series rather than a true sequel. After all, I think only 5 people played the original, seeing as how it only came out on the PC and was way too graphically advanced for a lot of people's home systems. This time they bettered its chances of receiving wider appeal (not to mention, assuaging investors' wallets) by bringing the game to all gaming venues. Good choice, I think.

And, no, I don't count the Wii as a legitimate gaming venue. Nice try.

If you want to find out a little more behind the scenes, check out this little article I found by clicking here.

And, look! They even interviewed Mr. Morgan himself. How cool!

2 comments:

Ashe Hunt said...

I'm getting this just because RKM wrote the storyline!

Rodney said...

Seeing any part of NYC empty and abandoned always seems to get under my skin.

This trailer is awesome. If I had a PS3, I'd buy this game in a heartbeat!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin