Monday, May 17, 2010

This!


Well, fast on the heels of my recent vlog entry commenting on movie Westerns and how much I adore them, comes IGN.com's review of the sandbox Western video game, Red Dead Redemption. Click on the link to read their comprehensive analysis of the game's strengths (many) and flaws (very few).

Knowing how much I love the Western genre--especially the "Spaghetti" variety--RDR seems to be right down my alley, and then some! Brought to you by the same folks who gave us Grand Theft Auto IV, Redemption is a spiritual sequel to Red Dead Revolver released back on the prior generation of video game consoles (Xbox/PS2). Which is just another way of saying that you can play the second game without ever having heard of the first, as the story from the original does not carry over to the sequel.

I purposely allowed this game to fly under my radar until its release date (which is tomorrow, btw) so as to avoid as many spoilers as possible. As a result, the rather high review scores handed out by IGN and a handful of other gaming journalists came as a pleasant surprise. And from reading each writer's take on the game, I can tell this is going to be a special experience for me indeed. Can't wait to play it!

I'm throwing up the official trailer below so that you folks who are into gaming can give it a gander and see if this is a title you're meant to have in your collection. But before you make your decision, do me a favor and please read the written review I linked to above. It tells you a lot more about why this game is so awesome than either the trailer or my paltry gushing can accomplish.

Oh, and RDR's out on both the Xbox 360 and PS3. If you're like me and own both consoles, you'll now have to make the decision of which version to get. Since I'm a Sony loyalist, I'm picking up the PS3 one. I haven't been able to track down any word on what the graphical or gameplay differences (if any) might be between the two. But I'll take a chance with Sony's spacious BD-ROM capacity over the inadequate DVD option of the 360.

Saddle up, pardner!

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin