Monday, December 27, 2010

The Christmas Blizzard of '10

So, as you may have heard, New York City got gob-smacked by nature's wintry fury the day after Christmas. For the second time this year, we got blasted by a blizzard dumping close to two feet of snow on the Five Boroughs. It started around 10:30 am yesterday morning, and got particularly bad around 6 pm in the evening. I woke up this morning to find quite the winter wonderland spread out below my 10th story vantage point. I even took a few time-lapse panoramics over the course of a 24-hour period with my iPhone 4. I started at 11:30 am on Dec. 26th, and took my last photo at 11:30 am on Dec. 27th. Check out the progression below:














The South Bronx is actually kind of peaceful looking when it's buried under over 20 inches of snow, ain't it? This is part of the reason why I love the winter so much. It makes a much more honest entity out of this murderous beast I call home.

I hope those of you dealing with the aftermath of these winter storms are safe and warm in your neck of the woods. Thank god I'm off from work until after New Year's.

3 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

So beautiful! I love a day or two of snow. Thanks for sharing the wonderful winterland photos.

Botanist said...

Well, that's quite a scene David. When I saw the news yesterday I was thinking of you all out there on the east coast. I love the changing light in these photos, and the parked cars getting slowly buried in the street down there.

David Batista said...

Thanks all! It was fun--though at time dangerous--taking these photos outside of my window from so high up. In the evening hours, the winds picked up quite severely. Of course, I loved every minute of it! Reminded me of my college days in the frozen wilds of northern Vermont. :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin