Friday, December 10, 2010

Sci-Fi Friday Movie Trailers

No, this is not the start of a new series of blog entries. It's just that, for some reason, I seemed to have woke up this morning and found not one, not two . . . but THREE new sci-fi movie trailers for films coming out next year.

The first one is a teaser for next summer's sequel, Transformers 3:



There's some debate over who the mysterious figure at the end of the teaser is. Could it be Unicron? Or Sentinel Prime? Personally, I'm almost 100% certain that it's Alpha Trion -- although I concede that Sentinel Prime is a likely runner-up. Anyone out there with decent Transformers cred care to set me straight?

Next up is a trailer for a bizarre concept film called Real Steel, which is apparently based on "Rock'em, Sock'em Robots" I'm guessing. WTF? But, hey, it stars Hugh Jackman, who I actually like. He plays a boxer in his prime who has a shot at the title, when he's suddenly made obsolete after the public turns toward robotic-based pugilism instead. He's forced to retire and resorts to building and training this new breed of contender. I guess it's trying to be like the first Rocky, but with a twist. Yeah, whatever that means. Still, once you see the actual trailer, the movie doesn't seem quite as ridiculous as it reads on paper:



What do you think? Is this a movie you might want to see? I'm pretty sure I'm catching this in theaters, but for now I'm remaining cautiously neutral.

I've saved the most promising looking movie teaser for last.This one is for a small action film titled I Am Number Four. From the teaser alone, it sounds like some modicum of thought was put behind the idea of decent characterization and world building here. Imagine that? And I also like the fact that it doesn't seem to have any distracting, big-name Hollywood stars attached. Yet from the looks of it they didn't skimp on the special effects budget. Kewl! Take a gander for yourself and tell me what you think:



There's a second, proper, trailer of this out now, which you can see by clicking here. Personally, I like the presentation in the above teaser better. But watching both clips will give you a pretty decent idea of what to expect when this film hits theaters next year.

So, which looks the most promising to you? Believe it or not, as much as I loathe the first two movies in the series . . . the Transformers 3 teaser actually has my interest piqued. Who'd a thunk it?

3 comments:

Ashe Hunt said...

Cool. I just know T3 is gonna be a let down despite how cool the trailer looks. Real Steel is fluff but I'll probably see it. And I Am Number Four looks real good.

David Batista said...

The only reason why I'm thinking T3: Dark of the Moon might be any good, besides this teaser, is also the fact that Megan Fox won't be in the movie. She was always a weak point with the first two films.

Rodney said...

Well, that depends on your point of view, David. Megan Fox was in the first two basically to bring in the horny male demographic. In terms of storyline, character development and overall effectiveness of the film.... yeah, she sucked ass!

TF3 looks interesting, but didn't they already bond the Transformers to our history with the last two films? Btw, T3 is for Terminator 3, guys. Let's give TF3 a chance before associating it with the turd that was T3. TF3 might be good!

I randomly found the trailer for Real Steel a few days ago, and it looks interesting. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Personally, I'm kind of getting tired of super power movies. No. 4 looks interesting, but I've seen too many of these movies blow up (Push, anyone?). But hope springs eternal.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin