Thursday, December 2, 2010

Latest Trailer For Game Of Thrones

HBO aired the latest teaser trailer for their upcoming Spring 2011 show, Game of Thrones, based on the popular fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, by the acclaimed George R. R. Martin. If you recall, I was a huge fan of the books long before this show was a glimmer in anybody's eye, and heartily recommend the series to anyone who prefers gritty "realism" to their fantasy -- rather than sissy elves and fairies and wizards waving wands around. Click on the video below for a first glimpse at what's shaping up to be another awesome hit show for HBO. My brief reaction follows after the clip:





You know, up until now, I didn't know quite what to make of the early pics and brief footage shown of the production thus far. Only after viewing this teaser does it start to hammer home just how deep and wonderfully produced this show has become. Filmed mostly in Northern Ireland, but also in parts of Scotland and Malta, the footage truly does have an epic look to it, doesn't it? I wonder if this makes anyone want to go out and read the first book? So far, everything I'm seeing in this teaser is taken directly from the opening chapters of the first novel. Seeing Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is so AWESOME, and the conversation he has with Bran about how "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword" is one of those moments you simply never forget reading on the pages of the book, no matter how many years have passed. It's also an eerie foreshadowing of Ned's own terrible fate to come.

Apparently a 15-minute behind-the-scenes look will be airing at 8:45 this Sunday night before the season finale of Boardwalk Empire. If you have HBO, don't forget to check it out. If not, I'll eventually post the video here (if I have permission). In the meantime, let me know if you cannot get the video to work above. You might want to check out this YouTube version instead, if that's the case.

5 comments:

Rodney said...

Excuse me?? "Sissy elves and fairies and wizards"?? Dude, you couldn't even finish one of the most hard-core gritty psychological fantasy series I recommended to you! And that INCLUDED wizards, elves/fairies, and magic! Yes, I'm talking about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. So, I expect a full retraction of that "sissy" comment, thank you!

That being said, this trailer for Game of Thrones is absolutely fantastic and for once I'm really looking forward to watching a period piece on HBO! But this brings up an interesting dilemma for me: do I just watch the series without reading the books and view the show unbiased by the written version or do I read the books and then watch and see how true to the story the producers of the show can get?

David Batista said...

Nah, I'll still stand by my sissy comment. I don't put the Covenant series in that category, however. I'm talking more the Harry Potter universe and Shannara-type books. Bleh!

Oh, and my problem with Donaldson's series was that it BORED me to freakin tears! The twisted, psychological aspects are fine . . . but don't drag it out for more than one book. Ugh!

Btw, I did finish the first book at least. And 3/4ths of the second. I gave it the good ol' college try, at least. Of course, I *was* in college at the time, so . . .

David Batista said...

Oh, and I forgot to add:

I never recommend reading a book before a movie or show based on said book. You should read it only if you always planned to read it in the first place. In which case, go right ahead!

However, since the books are in the range of 500 to 900 pages long, I would focus on only the first one for now. After all, the 1st season will only cover that book. You'll have plenty of time to catch up on the rest of the series before the 2nd season airs.

Rodney said...

Oh, okay then. Well, so long as you're not making a blanket attack on all magic infused fantasy, we're good. I still can't see how you found that series boring.

Everyone's been recommending that I read the series (yes, I do mean everyone, I've had at least 15 people recommend it), and I've been meaning to read it anyway. As for the length of the books, I've read books longer than that, so that's no biggie. My issue has to do with corruption, I don't want to taint my reception of the show with preconceived notions of the book.

David Batista said...

I feel the same way, which is why I never read a book if a movie based on it is about to come out. So, since this show will be airing fairly soon, I would just watch it cold if I were you.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin