Wednesday, December 15, 2010

GRRRR . . . HRRRR . . . UNGH!!!!!


That's me today, because I feel like one of the living dead.

Last night was one of those unexpected moments when the wife and I crawled into bed together fully intending to sleep and . . . ended up talking the night away until 4:30 in the morning! HOLY HELLS, I am so brain-dead tired right now! It's amazing I even have the presence of mind to type these words.

What did we talk about? Oh, just life. Well, mostly our respective families, and also about how much we worry about today's children. Especially our nieces and nephews, who are so smart and adorable and deserving of the best life can bring. Unfortunately, if they continue living in the Bronx, they will most assuredly end up not living to their full potential. It's a fact of life around here. The entire borough is a cesspool for destroyed childhoods and unfulfilled dreams. It eats you up and spits you out unless you have the extraordinary strength of will to persevere despite all the obstacles. Which I did, and my wife did. But to which too many younger family members in both our respective families have not. Some who paid with their lives for the shortcomings of this ridiculous "ghetto fabulous" culture that permeates here.

I want those little toddlers in our family to live a good life, and so we agreed to keep on keeping on the parents, and push them to move away from this place. We will ourselves at some point, too; definitely if we have children of our own. The Bronx is safe to raise kids up until around the age of 7 or 8. Then you have to get the hell out of Dodge if you want to salvage their futures. For real!

Anyway, as you can see, we talked about some heady stuff. Mostly our fears and our hopes. It's nice to have that connect in the dark of night when the tv is off, the writing stopped, the PC shutdown, the cell phones left in the coat closet, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to take into account that I had to wake up at 6:30 for work. So now I'm paying the price, operating on just 2 hours of sleep.

I have a loooong day ahead of me . . . but strangely, it feels worth it. Just one more way I'm reminded I married the right person.

3 comments:

Kim Kasch said...

Living life - that's what you're doing

It's those wee-morning, midnight hours, that make all the difference :)

Botanist said...

Sounds like an important conversation, David. Well worth the sacrifice of a few hours sleep. This sounds scary. My old home in Guernsey was a haven in comparison but we still left in the end for the future of our children. And we're still glad we did.

David Batista said...

Kim -- Too true! :)

Ian -- Yeah, it's a very scary place where I live. But, I was born and raised here, so it's a scary place within which I've learned very well how to survive. Sometimes this familiarity--despite all the inherent dangers--with the neighborhoods of the Bronx leads me to complacency and staying put despite knowing I want move back to Vermont near where I attended college. Plus, I have a sick Grandmother who lives nearby to look after, too. So I have reasons for living here.

Having kids would make moving more of a priority for us. I fully believe in giving children the best possible life and home to thrive in. So if moving across the pond did that for you and your family, Ian -- then bravo!

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin