Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Booklist

I recently signed up for Dropbox, a very cool service that allows you to create an online virtual folder in which you can place all your stuff (e.g., doc, pics, music, etc.) and have it accessible across any number of platforms -- home P.C., laptop, work P.C., iPhone, and so on . . . simultaneously! So, for instance, if I'm working on my novel, I can back up any new scenes into my desktop's Dropbox mirror folder, and then make small edits via my iPhone if I'm out and about and remember to add some minor plot detail I forgot. This also eliminates the need for me to constantly transfer my Word files back and forth via thumb drive, as well as providing a handy online backup of everything I write. If anything should happen to one of my computers with the Dropbox folder installed, I can still access the same files on another PC, or any platform with Internet access for that matter. Nifty!

You can take a video tour of the service by clicking here and deciding whether you want to sign up for yourself. If you do, please use that link since it's a referral linked directly to me. This way, if you do decide to join after watching the video, we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage free! And we all like free stuff, right? RIGHT????

One of the other things you can do is to allow the public to view certain items -- only those you specifically allow public access to (duh!). I wanted to try it out, so I thought I'd let the world see the book list I've been keeping all these years. In theory, this is a list of all the books I've read ever since the 1st grade. I say "in theory" because, quite frankly, trying to remember every single book I've ever read is a pain in the ass. I've been compiling this since around 2000, based on a more extensive list I kept in high school, circa 1993. And while I've only included the titles that I for a fact remember reading, a lot more have slipped through the cracks of this faulty vessel of mine I call my brain.

Click here if you want to view this list. Actually, please click on it and let me know in the comments below whether or not this works for you. The link will open a dialogue window asking if you either want to "Open" or "Save" the Word doc. I would recommend you "open" it if you just want a quick glance at the list. I'll be putting a more permanent link in my sidebar soon for archival purposes.

In the meantime, check out Dropbox and see if it's the right fit for you. Personally, I love it!

2 comments:

Rodney said...

Interesting product. I'll definitely check this out... Btw, I clicked on the link and the list came up fine.

I had completely forgotten you read Eddings' Belgariad & Mallorean series. That's really cool. I'm surprised you didn't comment on my posting on the series...

David Batista said...

Well, they were YOUR books you lent to me, after all. :) I could have sworn I commented. Hmmm . . . well if it's any consolation, I did intend to. That was a very good series, although after Polgara: The Sorceress, I felt I had more than enough of that universe and subsequently never read any more by the Eddings. R.I.P.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin