Thursday, February 17, 2011

3-Word Movie Descriptions

One of my Facebook friends twittered some 3-word movie descriptions today.

Here were some of his examples:

Rosebud The Sled. -- Citizen Kane

*I'm* Your Father. -- Empire Strikes Back


To which I chimed in with my own:

Head In Box. -- Se7en.


Heh, heh . . . FUN, right? So, yes, of course I had to go think up a few more of my own. Then, voilĂ !, I thought: why not put this up on the blog? And now the fun has been passed on to you!

I decided to make a sort-of quiz for movie buffs based around the concept. Below are several 3-word movie descriptions. The answers are hidden to the right of each description. If you think you figured it out, simply highlight over the blank box with your mouse to reveal the correct answer.

Got it? Good. Let's get started:


1)  Alien Cockroach King (1997). -- Men In Black             


2)  Lotion or Hose? (1991). -- Silence of the Lambs         


3)  Save the Clocktower! (1985) -- Back to the Future         


4)  Global Warming's COLD! (2004) -- The Day After Tomorrow     


5)  Dances With Smurfs (2010). -- Avatar                             


6)  Damn Dirty Primates! (1968) -- Planet of the Apes          


7)  Archer's Now American (1991). -- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves


8)  Robot Finds Love (2008). -- Wall-E                                   


9)  Hobo's A God (2008). -- Hancock                        


10) Vigilante Scuba Gear (2010). -- Kick-Ass!                            


11) Accountant Escapes Prison (1994). -- The Shawshank Redemption


12) Dad's My Son (1988). -- Big                                          


13) The Red Pill (1999). -- The Matrix                          


14) These Fifteen Commandments! (1981) -- History of the World: Part I  


15) Ditto To You. (1990) -- Ghost                                  


So, tell me: how well did you do? In the comments below, tell me which ones, if any, you couldn't figure out.


EDIT: I just did a Google search and found out that a website, Sporcle.com, already beat me to this. Click on this link to try their own quiz, which is better than mine. I've scored 16 out of 20 on theirs. See, mine doesn't have a time limit. Darn! I went back and added their technique of putting the year of the movie's release after each one, though, so as to make this just a little bit easier. You can thank Sporcle for that, class.

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

I scored 15 out of 15!!! Not really. Just kidding! hahaha I actually missed quite a bit, lets just leave it at that!

David Batista said...

LOL! I understand, Yvonne. It's okay. :)

Rodney said...

I got 11 out of 15. Mostly because the clue lead me to completely different movies. Like for #9, I couldn't get "The Fisher King" out of my head. I was WAY off on that one.

David Batista said...

That's why I put the year of release there after each description. I found that when the same thing happens to me as what did to you, seeing the year helps to snap me out of it and thinking along alternative lines.

But, LOL! at The Fisher King. If you'd known I was being literal, you might have gotten it correct. :)

And I hope to god you got No. 14. I figured only you would know that one.

Rodney said...

Of course I got #14!! I almost laughed out loud when I read that one!!

The ones I missed were:
#01 (I can't BELIEVE I didn't get that. I was thinking Joe's Apartment.)

#07 - I hated that movie, so it doesn't bother me.
#09 - Obviously, came up with the wrong movie.
#12 - I have NO idea where you got that description. I was thinking 18 again or something like that..

David Batista said...

No. 12 is true, though. That does in fact happen in the movie, no? To be honest, it would be more accurate to say "Son's My Dad", since we're really seeing things through Tom Hank's perspective in the movie. But it doesn't sound right compared to the way I have it. Both descriptions are technically correct, though.

As for 18 Again . . . yeah, that could cause a problem since both movies came out in 1988. But 18 Again involves a grandfather, not father.

As always, thanks for playing! :)

KLo said...

Got 'em all, because I'm lame :-) (actually, the years helped ... I would have missed a few otherwise).

I'm so glad you mentioned Sporcle here ... I've introduced my students to the site (under the "There really is something for everyone here" guise) and they love it :-) (and I myself have whiled away an hour or forty-eight there)

David Batista said...

Wow, I'm impressed KLo! Congrats! And, yeah, Sporcle makes it very easy to lose track of time, doesn't it? :)

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin