Thursday, February 17, 2011

ZOMG! Amazing Trailer For New Zombie Horror Game!

Wow, I've seen some great video game trailers in my day. But this . . . this is one of the most moving pieces I've ever witnessed! And for a zombie survival horror game to boot! I'm not going to say anything more until after the jump. Just sit back and watch the trailer for now and let it all sink in, then continue to read for more details of just what this game is about:






I mean, damn! That was a work of art! And, appropriately it's getting me very psyched to play this when it's eventually released on all platforms later this year (I'm guessing in the Fall).

Not much is known about Dead Island yet, but it's developed by the Polish studio, Techland, and published by Deep Silver. This game looks to be unique in the zombie-pocalypse sub genre in that, unlike games such as Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead, this one seeks to take the more realistic approach and not have arsenals of high-end military weapons just lying around for civilians to conveniently pick up and expertly use.

No, in Dead Island, you have to survive just with what's around you in a natural environment. Which, in this game, happens to be a fictional tropical resort island, Banoi, off the coast of Papua New Guinea. See, even the setting is unique! I'm tickled pink that such a remote destination was chosen, especially since I actually happen to know a lot about PNG due to extensive research I undertook in order to write my dark fantasy/horror short story, "Hatchling," last year.

In Dead Island, all you have at your disposal to fend off the inevitable undead hordes are resort items such as broomsticks, pipes, sporting equipment, fire extinguishers -- maybe an emergency fire axe (as in the trailer) or a landscaper's machete. But that's it! What lends this title an added sense of danger, then, is the way your actions are limited to the weapons you have available and how fast you can run away to safety. Because the emphasis will be mostly on mêlée options, unlike previous survival horror games the player will be forced to fight enemies at close range and under extremely brutal conditions. After all, bashing a zombie's head in with a baseball bat is a lot more personal (not to mention difficult) than standing 15 feet away and unloading a full clip into him as he slowly lumbers toward you. Of course, tension further arises by the fact that these are not your old school slow zombies. No . . . these bastards are FAST!

According to the developer, the game will add further interesting and unique aspects to the genre, such as degrading weapons that are damaged over time and with use, and which will require maintenance unless you discard them. Also, there are some light RPG elements included. As a vacationer staying at the resort, the player begins his/her day of horror knowing almost nothing about zombie survival. I mean, hey -- that's not exactly a topic you'll find covered in most Frommer's travel guides, is it? But as you progress through the game, you'll earn experience points which will then open up various upgrade trees for things like attribute augmentation and weapon maintenance.

As a huge fan of the genre this is all, of course, right down my alley! I mean, this is damned SWEET!

So it goes without saying that you should stay tuned for future updates on this game's progress as they come in. In the meantime, someone over on Youtube went to some trouble to piece together the trailer in reverse order. Or, in other words, in chronological order. He reversed the audio, though, to lend it that authentic "rewind" flair which I think really works well, artistically. Check out the rewound version of the trailer here.

As always, sound off in the comments box below with your impressions. I hope you're as excited as I am!

6 comments:

Rodney said...

Dude, that trailer was amazing! I'm not one for zombie games much, but I might actually get this game! Just based on the trailer.

David Batista said...

You're not the only one, Rod. A lot of people who are not normally big on zombie games are having the exact same reaction to this as you.

I only hope the actual story is as poignant and gripping as this promo . . . and that the gameplay can live up to its promise. Time will tell.

Kim Kasch said...

With "fun" like this, I may just have to take up gaming ;)

David Batista said...

I thought this might be something you'd turn gamer grrrl for, Kim! :)

Ashe Hunt said...

Very good trailer. I ain't playin' though. I hate zombies. I barely got through RE1! I can't take it. The sci-fi element is the only reason I got Dead Space and I still have finished that. Shit, I didn't even get halfway! I will through sheer stubborness but damn. Freaky space zombies! WTF was I thinkin'! And now I'ma have to get the second one. I'll watch you play Dead Island but I can't do it to myself.

David Batista said...

Yeah, I know how you are with these types of games. If Dead Island turns out to be really, really good--it's hard to tell off the bat since this is really just a fluff "artsy" trailer--then I'll definitely show you the game.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin