Monday, February 28, 2011

Thundercats . . . HO!!!!

Ah, god bless the Cartoon Network. They know how to make an old 80s kid proud!




Yes, folks. A reboot of the classic 1985 kid's cartoon, Thundercats, is slated for release on the network sometime later this year. And I couldn't be happier, despite all the naysayers. I originally broke the news about this back in June last year, and above is the first released official artwork of the new show. Below is how the characters used to look back in the 80s:




As you can see, there's . . . uh, been a few changes. But no prob, I never said they had to bring back the exact same program. Updating it for today seems the best choice, and I'm digging the more anime slant to the animation. As you can imagine, there's been a lot of skepticism by old school fans of the show. People that I should really call my peers since they're in the same age range to appreciate all this as myself. But whereas those folks are already assuming that this will bomb, I myself hold out hope that it might do well.

Some of you might recall, but around this time last year I wrote out this blog entry detailing my Top 10 favorite tv cartoons of all time. Click the link if you want to refresh your memories, or perhaps read it for the first time. And just for reference, here are two more pics to show you the changes that are coming in this new iteration of the Thundercats license -- the 80s version followed by the 2011 one:




Wow, I'm actually stoked! Lion-O looks very young. Right now there's no telling whether he will stay this way beyond the initial 3-episode pilot arc. Some think this is the younger, pre 3rd Earth Lion-O . . . but I think this is the way he will look for the entire show. Which would be cool, because he's obviously younger than the way he was depicted in the old 80s version, but not so young as to not realistically take on the mantle of their leader. The fact that he wields both the Sword of Omens and Claw in the above pic demonstrates that this is Lion-O after already becoming Lord of the Tundercats.

In any event, only time will tell. For some reason there is no exact release date yet for this show. I'm guessing will see it for the Fall slate later this year. Bummer!

But, hey, in the meantime you have this brand new teaser trailer just released by the network. For those aficionados out there, see how much you can glean from the quickly-cut footage. I've been able to spot a few interesting tidbits myself. How 'bout you?





As you can see, this looks like it will take the mythos in a darker, more serious direction. If the original show had one detraction, it's that it was too kiddy and cheesy even during its time. Personally, this is the type of direction I like best: mature, gritty, and more emotionally rewarding.

If the video above doesn't work, simply click on this YouTube link to go to it directly. Then come back here and discuss the footage in the comments below, won't you kindly? Oh, and if you would like to see the original Thundercats intro sequence from the 80s version, click here.

I'm heading off to my grandma's house now to dust off my Thundertank, sword, and original figurines. Sword of Omens . . . give me sight beyond sight!

12 comments:

The Frisky Virgin said...

You know, there are days when I will just watch some old cartoons. *blushes* I dunno why...maybe it just takes me back to a time when things were simple. I miss simple. lol

Anyway, yeah, this should be good!

David Batista said...

I'm the same way! I'll watch the old cartoons not because they were just so gooood (which, some weren't), but because they remind me of happier times when these episodes would make me dare to dream.

Sounds corny, huh? :)

getyourselfconnected said...

OMG! Thundercats!! Awesome post man!

getyourselfconnected said...

Sorry, meant to ask if you have seen "Starblazers"? Wave Motion Gun is too great.

David Batista said...

No, I've never heard of Starblazers. What's so great about it?

Hmm, maybe I'll look it up.

Thanks!

getyourselfconnected said...

Indeed, look it up!

Yvonne said...

I miss Daffy duck, Bugs Bunny and Mighty Mouse, Superfriends, and Underdog, and Speed Racer
-those were cartoons. Ha! I just dated myself! Thundercats rock too! There. I said it. lol I am a "closet" fan. :)

David Batista said...

You didn't really date yourself, tho. I was born in 1976, and I grew up with all those cartoons you just mentioned. They were my first "faves" that I enjoyed even up until my pre-adolescent years. However, I was at the right age in the early to mid 80s (6 to 9 yrs old) to enjoy the new crop of merchandise-fueled cartoons hitting our shores. It's a narrow window of time, where only those of my generation share the same passion that I have for a specific list of cartoons -- Transformers, Voltron, The Smurfs, He-Man, Jem, C.O.P.S., Bionic 6, and of course Thundercats to name just a few.

But, wow, that's cool that you are a fan of TC, too. I think? :)

Botanist said...

I like darker remakes. Can anyone even think of the old Batman series without cringing? But the dank and dingy Gotham of the movies, with seriously respectable villainy, was something else.

Speaking of old cartoons though, does anyone remember the movement back in the 80's to ban good ol' Tom & Jerry because they were too violent?

David Batista said...

I sort of remember that, Ian. The sentiment is poked good fun at with the "Itchy & Scratchy" segements which run withing The Simpsons cartoon. But I used to love Tom & Jerry -- wow, that brings back good memories!

Ashe Hunt said...

Mighty Mouse was one of my favorites and the original Tom and Jerry was the best ever. The new T&J 'toons suck. Who remembers Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors?! That was my joint! And of course Thundercats rocked! Yeah, I'm gonna be watching the new one!

Ashe Hunt said...

And don't get me wrong, the updated art is very nice but despite the dated look of the original the details of the characters was so much better, at least looking at the side by side pics up there. The detail is off the chain on all of the the characters in comparison to their modern counterparts.

You Might Also Like:

LinkWithin